FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By nate7891
I have a fly trap that I bought a year ago on clearance at lowes. The leaves are very wide and flat. They are also growing flat against the soil, so much that the new leaves are forming and growing tight up against other leaves and traps. I have never seen this before in my online ventures and was wondering if anyone has seen this. It looks like the leaves make no effort to grow up at all, they are all flat against the soil.
By Nick
It sounds like they are the remaining dormancy leaves, which are usually shorter, broader, and lower to the ground. As spring progresses, you should see more skinny, upright growth from your VFT (assuming all growing conditions are good).
By nate7891
I'm hoping its just that. I made the mistake of buying it late in the season. I kept it on a window sill so when the late fall and winter came it never went towards dormancy. I'm putting it under my grow lights that I use for my other plants to see if I can simulate the full sun for the growing season. If this doesn't turn things around then my next try is dormancy and repotting.
By Fishkeeper
Yep, it's dormant. Probably waking up early. That's all right- let it wake up early, just be sure it gets a full dormancy next year.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!