FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Nolen Pitzer
Pretty much explained I want to add any type to my collection. Just not to expensive I would like to keep it on the cheaper side.
By ChefDean
Matt may get some this year, but they go fast. You can get put on a list to be notified if they become available.
Last time I saw them offered, they were $40. That was a bit ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if the sticker has gone up.
Nolen Pitzer, tommyr liked this
By Nolen Pitzer
I figured before I spend around $50 on one I would try growing from seeds do y'all have any recommendations for how to do that
By Panman
Spend the $50. The seeds are hard to germinate and very slow to grow. $50 will get you about 2 years of growth.
By ChefDean
^^^^ What he said. I've tried root cuttings, a very small plant, and seeds twice (the second seed attempt is ongoing. So far, not much luck, but I think I'm dialing it in.
By Panman
Leaf pullings are very slow. Root cuttings are a but faster. Your going to have to pay to get anything to appreciate in the next couple of years.
andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
We’ll…this has pretty well answered a question/thought that’s been lurking in my head. Cephs are simply cool plants to me. They look like little alien mouths just sitting there waiting to eat something. :lol: The places I have looked have been out of stock so I figured I’d wait till the spring. But, at $40-$50 a pop, well…I’ve got some sarrs seeds in the oven I think I’ll be happy with!!! ;)
StephenB200+ liked this
By davinstewart
Be mindful that cephs are not easy to grow. They may do well for a year but then crash and burn horribly seemingly out of nowhere.

Definitely give them a try but my advice to you is to avoid any expensive cultivars and just focus on the typical plant until you've got confidence that you can grow them successfully. Otherwise, you're just in for heartbreak. The price tag here reflects the difficulty associated with growing them.
Jedikinigit liked this
By tommyr
Panman wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:28 pm Leaf pullings are very slow. Root cuttings are a but faster. Your going to have to pay to get anything to appreciate in the next couple of years.
I'll add that leaf cuttings are indeed slow (they do sprout fairly quick, a few weeks) but work very easily using the flat paddle leaves.
By StephenB200+
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:17 pm We’ll…this has pretty well answered a question/thought that’s been lurking in my head. Cephs are simply cool plants to me. They look like little alien mouths just sitting there waiting to eat something. :lol: The places I have looked have been out of stock so I figured I’d wait till the spring. But, at $40-$50 a pop, well…I’ve got some sarrs seeds in the oven I think I’ll be happy with!!! ;)
After two months of cold stratification and two months on a heating mat, my Cephalotus seeds are showing no signs of activity. A little disheartening 8(
By Intheswamp
<arrrgghhhhh!!!>
The waiting is the worst part. And then when it gets to be so much time has elapsed that you’re considering pulling the plug on them a little voice keeps whispering “…just a little bit longer”. I’ve got some Nep seeds in a pot that are 90+ days out…their viability was questionable when I planted them but that blasted little voice keeps whispering to me! :?
StephenB200+ liked this
By Intheswamp
I’ve read, though, of it taking a year for cephs to germinate. That little whisper might know something!
StephenB200+ liked this
By StephenB200+
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:57 pm <arrrgghhhhh!!!>
The waiting is the worst part. And then when it gets to be so much time has elapsed that you’re considering pulling the plug on them a little voice keeps whispering “…just a little bit longer”. I’ve got some Nep seeds in a pot that are 90+ days out…their viability was questionable when I planted them but that blasted little voice keeps whispering to me! :?
Don[t give up the ghost. I one batch of Nep seeds started germinating in October and two weeks a go a few additional seeds sprouted out of the clear blue. Months later
Intheswamp liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!