FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By forest ghost
Hi everyone, I am brand new here and would appreciate a little advice. I have a nepenthes Miranda that I bought last march, and I have done some research and I realize the reason it's not pitchering is because it went from outside to inside in October. It is pretty dry in the house in the winter and added to that is the low light factor. It is in the kitchen window, behind the sink, that has two windows, one faces east, the other faces south, and I am in southeastern lower Michigan. To cut to the chase, I think what I need is a light source that would be sort of invisible. Also, I would really like to keep it outside in our enclosed patio in the warmer months, but I worry that this will only harm it. I realize that I haven't had it that long and I am not sure what I am doing, but it is growing like crazy. The humidity is in the low 40's to low 50's. Would greatly appreciate any help, thanks.
By Benurmanii
Welcome! That humidity is more than enough for N. miranda to pitcher. A south facing window should be fine, as long as you can place the plant right by the window. As for an "invisible light source", I am not sure what you mean.
By nimbulan
It's normal for Nepenthes to stop producing pitchers in the winter without supplemental light. My 'Miranda' has been growing new pitchers exceedingly slowly in an east window this winter, while another Nepenthes next to it hasn't been growing any at all.
By forest ghost
What I mean by invisible is something that will not drastically change the way the area looks. The sink faces the corner with the east and south windows, and there are cupboards bordering the windows at the top, there is a small light fixture above the sink. What I don't want is a kitchen that looks like a greenhouse and is as bright as the sun. Does this help? thanks again.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!