FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By ReefPlant
I guess i'll start off by saying that up until now i've never had a house, yard, or greenhouse for that matter. I have always had windows, but animals and easy crowding led to 'still thirsty' success... Interest has it's artificial way of winning though.
I have used halides, LEDs, and fluorescents to grow just about everything in my entire living collection for the last 5+ years. I have had my loses in learning but push to turn just as much.
The flame still burns and the fire is bigger for us all. I don't think any grower of all things good should quit in His/Her quest for another great reason to wake up!
However, bulb replacement, bulky ballasts, potential bulb failure, grow-op alteration, cooling/ventalation (waisted heat energy your paying for), and simply accomodating some of the beasts needed to have your very own piece of the sun! tax and discourage me sometimes. Not to mention other up-and-coming growers.
This bring me to my next point and question! Who's With Me!?
Does anyone have a grow-op running completely off LEDs? I am about to get 10, 45w LED panels (250w halide output)in a range of spectrums to switch all of my lighting over. I'm very excited to see what they really look like over the plants as well as their response (While we're at it, we can set up a little CO2/NonCO2 test :mrgreen: .) This could really change the way i grow, and can grow, in the future with the space i'm given. :D
Can't wait to post some pictures
By Steve_D
I'm very interested in LEDs as alternative grow lights. What brand are you considering? Do you have a website address?

Your use of the words "grow-op" is very evocative. :ugeek:
By kevinqwe
......i seriously dont get what the first part of ur post means :? :?: :|
but good luck. :D
By ReefPlant
The unit i'm going to be using is called the 'Grow panel 45s' and the company is 'sunshine systems'

I just posted some pictures of the current setup -another 25sq/ft i had to clear in order to make room for the new racks. There is also some pics of the tanks that were there.
By hackerberry
Hello,

I am an avid user of LEDs. I use the plain white and mix blue and red panels. I made them myself using 3 watter LEDs and a driver.

VFT seedlings under 3X3 watts white LED [1 month from germination]

Plants under Red and Blue mix.

hb
By Matt
I should definitely look into using LEDs for tissue culture in particular. Since the cultures don't require much light, it should be easy to get something set up with LEDs. Have you tried using LEDs for your cultures Jun?

I'm definitely interested in using LEDs, so if anyone has success with a particular LED set up, please post and give details!
By NZL
hackerberry wrote:I am an avid user of LEDs. I use the plain white and mix blue and red panels. I made them myself using 3 watter LEDs and a driver.
Hey hackerberry,

I too am going to devote a part of an extra spare bedroom (as soon as I have one :?) as growing area with LEDs, but I wanted to know from you what LEDs you're most satisfied with regarding growth of plants. The white ones or the red/blue?
By ReefPlant
Matt wrote:I should definitely look into using LEDs for tissue culture in particular. Since the cultures don't require much light, it should be easy to get something set up with LEDs. Have you tried using LEDs for your cultures Jun?

I'm definitely interested in using LEDs, so if anyone has success with a particular LED set up, please post and give details!
I have only had experience using my friends red/blue LEDs for germination and the initial stages of growth for basic anuals. The grow was impressive but seemed to trickle down as the plants got older. Conditions weren't as good as they could have been and i think the lights could have taken the plants much further. I'm going to be using these LEDs for aquatic plants and my reef tank setups where the greatest savings are going to be.
I should be getting three different panels:
10000K (Mix of blue 420nm/white 6500K) heavier on the whites
Red/Blue
I want to setup primarily 6500K and 10000Ks with a couple of Red/Blue panels for flowering and rooting. Time will tell.
I would love to start some cultures but don't have the know how yet. I have more than enough specimens to have fun with! Any pointers to get started would be appreciated.
By NZL
ReefPlant wrote:I would love to start some cultures but don't have the know how yet. I have more than enough specimens to have fun with! Any pointers to get started would be appreciated.
If you're talking about tissue culture, a good starting point would be to order a Home Tissue Culture Kit online. Mostly there are booklets and sometimes a DVD included with the basic principles, methods and materials, and techniques.

You'll need the material of the TC Kit anyways, so it's not wasted money for the DVD/booklet alone..
By hackerberry
Matt wrote:Have you tried using LEDs for your cultures Jun?
Hi Matt, I use the Blue and Red for my TC and the plants are responding well but mostly the tropicals. The VFTs love the pure white LEDs. After all, they love full spectrum light.
NZL wrote: Hey hackerberry,

I too am going to devote a part of an extra spare bedroom (as soon as I have one :?) as growing area with LEDs, but I wanted to know from you what LEDs you're most satisfied with regarding growth of plants. The white ones or the red/blue?
Hi Niels, For most tropical and foliage plants and CP [Neps] the Blue and Red are the best. For any other CPs, I will suggest the pure Cree White LEDs.

hb
By ReefPlant
Here they are!!!
Attachments:
Total consumption....
Total consumption....
DSC04433.JPG (26.84 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
3x3 panel arrangement covered 50sq/ft
3x3 panel arrangement covered 50sq/ft
DSC04425.JPG (48.42 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
By lemonlily
Looks like the dance floor! :lol: Or at least what I imagine it being like...
By grant
Interesting, guys.

Reefplants pic looks like a UFO :D

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!