FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By VFTNoob
Hi all,

Currently I have some vft seedlings growing indoors that will be skipping dormancy. They are currently on an 18-6 schedule. If I put them outside in the spring, they'll go from 18 hours of light to about 8-9. Won't that trigger dormancy right before summer?

Should I leave them indoors until next fall or will they be fine if I throw them out in the spring when the rest of my plants begin to wake up? Also, do they need to be hardened off since they were grown indoors or can I just chuck them outside?
By Matt
VFTNoob wrote:Won't that trigger dormancy right before summer?
They will just slow down a bit in growth and rest. It will actually be good for them.
VFTNoob wrote:Should I leave them indoors until next fall or will they be fine if I throw them out in the spring when the rest of my plants begin to wake up?
I would move them outside in the spring if they were my babies.
VFTNoob wrote:Also, do they need to be hardened off since they were grown indoors or can I just chuck them outside?
You'll definitely need to harden them off and probably grow them under shade cloth for the first summer. Full sun can kill baby flytraps.
VFTNoob liked this
By VFTNoob
Thanks Matt! Got some 40% white shade cloth on the way and I have some green house tarp. How long do you think I should keep them under that set up?
By Matt
VFTNoob wrote:Thanks Matt! Got some 40% white shade cloth on the way and I have some green house tarp. How long do you think I should keep them under that set up?
Through the first year at least. If they grow to be at least 1 inch in total diameter, they can probably start handling full sun after that.
VFTNoob liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!