FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:10 pm
Panman wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:00 pm
Intheswamp wrote: The only viable reason I could see that they would need to be connected to the Internet is for updates.
The smart switches don't have the computing capacity to calculate the sunrise/sunset times and must use internet connectivity for it. Additionally, at least in the case of Wyze, the app that allows you to configure, monitor, and set the schedules connects to the switch over the internet.
Lots of things seem to use the apps as a bridge between your local apparatus and a server sitting "out yonder". I know that several home security systems use that same design. We have a small Arlo security camera system which works fair. I only give it a "fair" rating because the video quality isn't good as I'd like due to the low internet speed we have here...which I found out after-the-fact. My sister lives in a large city with fast internet speeds and she uses an Arlo system and her video quality is very good...but she has cable modem speeds and I'm stuck at below 1.5Mbs upload here. :x The lower speeds cause the system to lower the rez, apparently.

Man, am I going off on some tangents or what this morning??!!!!! :mrgreen:
Might be something useable here.
https://diysmartthings.com/smart-plugs- ... -internet/
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!