It's genetic!

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.
Matt
Site Admin

It's genetic!

by Matt » Wed May 05, 2010 4:15 am

This is somewhat of an update to this thread:
post36971.html
Basically the story is that I got a bunch of seed from Bob Ziemer last fall when I paid him a visit. I put it all into cultures and nearly all of it germinated. Some of the cultures got contaminated and I had to deflask them to save the babies. One of them started flowering a month after being deflasked. That means that the bloomer was 3 months or so old and I never had them on any hormones. Here's a photo of the "early bloomer":
Well, I self-pollinated the single flower that bloomed and it set seed! I then took all 15 or so of the seeds and flasked them on 3-1-2010. Only 6 of them germinated and it took nearly a month, but amazingly after two months in vitro from seed (one month after germinating), two of the babies are already flowering:

They aren't on any hormones and never have been. I think it's genetic! It might be another cultivar...Dionaea "Early Bloomer" :)
My Growlist
Eat Plants! Leave the meat for our pet plants :)

The following users would like to thank Matt for this post
Dionae, stubbingsj

tejan24

Re: It's genetic!

by tejan24 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:41 am

wow man, thats crazy. i still remember that post of that little guy. its weird that its offspring are also flowering at a very very young age.

keep us updated.
Pain Is Fear Leaving Your Body
My grow list. jaime-s-grow-list-t4395.html

95slvrZ28
Super User

by 95slvrZ28 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:02 am

Wow, that's really interesting. Although I'm not sure how many people are going to want plantlets that flower, haha.

Matt
Site Admin

by Matt » Wed May 05, 2010 7:54 am

95slvrZ28 wrote:Wow, that's really interesting. Although I'm not sure how many people are going to want plantlets that flower, haha.

Yeah, it definitely wouldn't be a high demand plant, but that doesn't take away from the interesting genetic trait, does it? ;)
My Growlist
Eat Plants! Leave the meat for our pet plants :)

moof

by moof » Wed May 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Oo I'd like one for sure! Very interesting!

hackerberry
Forum Moderator

by hackerberry » Wed May 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Hehe, that is so cute!

hb
My mind works like lightning...one dashing flash and it's gone!
Growlist

Steve_D

by Steve_D » Wed May 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Matt wrote:amazingly after two months in vitro from seed (one month after germinating), two of the babies are already flowering

My gosh! That is very weird. Also very interesting. You have a lot of interesting experiments going, Matt. :)

Ronnie

by Ronnie » Wed May 05, 2010 10:21 pm

very nice matt!

Veronis
Super User

by Veronis » Wed May 05, 2010 10:44 pm

That's crazy. Do some TC from the flower stalks when you can get to them and see if the new flytraps all do the same.

MichaelG

by MichaelG » Thu May 06, 2010 7:23 pm

I'd want one that flowers after only a few months!

kittyklaws

by kittyklaws » Sun May 09, 2010 8:19 pm

That is pretty darn amazing! :D
Power corrupts, knowledge is power,
study hard, be Evil ;)

Daniel_G
Super User

by Daniel_G » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:57 pm

if u ever get any spare ones you know where to come :D
Dan Galley, Sarracenia Addict, and Trainee Horticulturist.
If you have any rare Sarracenia that aren't on my growlist, send me a message!

My Trading Post
My Main Update Thread
My Growlist

jht-union
Super User

by jht-union » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:32 am

Really this is amazing, i bet the traits are heterozygous recessive for the female part of the plant(forgot the term sorry), since you self-pollinated, and the offsprings flower early just like the parent(the two that flower early), so the pollen must be heterozygous recessive as well since some of the offsprings didn't flower early like their parents. That means that 25% would flower early, which is what happened when just the two VFT's flower, 50% would carry the trait, they are carriers of the trait, they might flower early, or not, but when they pass it to their next offspring, their offsprings would either carry the trait, or flower early like their grandfather trait, and the other 25% would be heterozygous dominant that means that they would not carry the trait, and would be like any regular VFT, but this things can vary depending of what plant you use with really strong traits.
this is amazing, keep us updated matt!!=)
Growlist: jht-union-s-grow-list-t8718.html?hilit=jht union's growlist

Looking for these species: post97520.html

Oblivion

by Oblivion » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:08 am

they obviously love the conditions they are provided

dmagnan

by dmagnan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:30 pm

jht-union wrote:Really this is amazing, i bet the traits are heterozygous recessive for the female part of the plant(forgot the term sorry), since you self-pollinated, and the offsprings flower early just like the parent(the two that flower early), so the pollen must be heterozygous recessive as well since some of the offsprings didn't flower early like their parents. That means that 25% would flower early, which is what happened when just the two VFT's flower, 50% would carry the trait, they are carriers of the trait, they might flower early, or not, but when they pass it to their next offspring, their offsprings would either carry the trait, or flower early like their grandfather trait, and the other 25% would be heterozygous dominant that means that they would not carry the trait, and would be like any regular VFT, but this things can vary depending of what plant you use with really strong traits.

I think you may have your terms mixed up a little bit. By definition a heterozygote contains two different alleles of a gene, and a homozygote has two copies of the same allele. If the homozygotes have different phenotypes, the dominant trait is defined as the one observed in a heterozygote. So, all heterozygotes are "heterozygous dominant". You mean to hypothesize that the mutation is recessive, and the wild type copy of the gene is dominant. In this case a heterozygote (both a mutant and a normal copy of the gene) will be normal, but if you breed two heterozygotes, then 1/4 of the progeny will be homozygous mutant and flower early. If if it is a recessive mutation though, then when you self-pollinate a heterozygous mutant, all of the offspring will be mutant, because the plant only has mutant copies of the gene to pass on to its offspring.
Dave

Next

Return to Photos of Venus Fly Traps