FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Alice
Recently a friend gave me an unused Fly Trap kit, and being rather interested in carnivorous plants, I accepted. I have no idea how long it's been in storage, but it's quite a while, judging from what I've been told. It's a kids kit, but I wanted to start a VFT anyway. It's from a company called REX and the logo on it says REXnature. I am adding photos so you get the idea. It's in a small can (not wanting to grow a plant in THAT, will repot) and uses - judging from the label - artificial soil.

Thanks
Attachments:
It's designed for kids
It's designed for kids
picture097.jpg (59.75 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
I hope somebody can read backwards :/
I hope somebody can read backwards :/
picture098.jpg (64.99 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
By Jaws
Hi, Good luck with your VFT seed gift, but i wouldnt bother with any "brand" package as in your pics.
If your really interested in carnivorous plants get a plant from a nursery or shop :)
Jaws liked this
By stubbingsj
Jaws wrote:Hi, Good luck with your VFT seed gift, but i wouldnt bother with any "brand" package as in your pics.
If your really interested in carnivorous plants get a plant from a nursery or shop :)
Seeds by very nature lose their fertility overtime, and if the kit is old (I've never heard of the company) the seeds probably aren't going to sprout. I agree with Jaws, especially for your first plant, live (not seed) is better.
stubbingsj liked this
By fattytuna
As others have suggested, a mature plant would be the best bet for a beginner. A mature plant will take more stress than a seedling and is much hardier, so it's a good place to start. Once you get the hang of things, cultivating through seeds/cuttings will be much easier :))
fattytuna liked this
By xr280xr
Ya, it's worth a try. Those type of kits usually have a low germination success rate and if it's old, that reduces the chances even more. Keep it moist and warm for a few months and see if you get lucky!
xr280xr liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!