FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jackhw220
I’m in winter months in November so could someone tell me if my plant looks healthy and ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By andynorth
It looks to me like it is going in to dormancy. It's seems OK to me. This is normal but I may be wrong about its current state. Does it live outside or indoors. VFT's need to go through dormancy. If you have a garage that is a good place to keep it until Spring time. If not too cold where you are you could leave it outside and let nature do its thing.
By Gary
Yes, looks like impending dormancy. My VFTs went into the garage a couple of weeks ago; they look very wilted and blackened. I trimmed off the dead leaves today. Some of them are only a year old or so, and now they're really tiny.
By Jackhw220
andynorth wrote:It looks to me like it is going in to dormancy. It's seems OK to me. This is normal but I may be wrong about its current state. Does it live outside or indoors. VFT's need to go through dormancy. If you have a garage that is a good place to keep it until Spring time. If not too cold where you are you could leave it outside and let nature do its thing.
Yes it lives outside and the temperatures are now below 10 degrees c everyday

By Jackhw220
Gary wrote:Yes, looks like impending dormancy. My VFTs went into the garage a couple of weeks ago; they look very wilted and blackened. I trimmed off the dead leaves today. Some of them are only a year old or so, and now they're really tiny.
What temperature is it where you live

By andynorth
It is still in the 40's to 50's here. I know VFT's can handle a freeze or two but I believe that is about all it can handle. However, I may be wrong on that but it is how I understood it to be. If others are in garage I would put this one in with them and let nature take over. I understand removing the black traps but if there is any green on them leave them until the turn totally black. As long as there is green, photosynthesis can still happen, albeit it quite slow while dormant.
By Gary
What temperature is it where you live

I'm in Prescott, AZ. Temps are in the 60s-70s daytime and 30s-40s at night. The plants seem more sensitive to photoperiod than temps. Once the daylight hours got shorter they started getting sleepy.

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!