FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I may be wrong, but that doesn't look like a VFT flower stalk. The tips aren't typically round and smooth like that, but instead being somewhat pointed and textured. Maybe the angle is hiding something.
To me, that looks more like either a moss capsule or a fungal fruiting body.
By Intheswamp
That does look a little odd. Something else…is it just some artifact in the photo or are there some black shiny things peeping out from between the leaves?
By ChefDean
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:09 am That does look a little odd. Something else…is it just some artifact in the photo or are there some black shiny things peeping out from between the leaves?
Those are VFT seed shells, still stuck to leaves.
andynorth, Intheswamp liked this
By Rob Tetrazona
I got a good germination rate from my packet of seeds, so I have no problem offering up one specimen for the sake of curious observation. They are not hybridized seeds, just the plain green version, so nothing fancy. I had to start somewhere.

I took a quick look this morning & the "growth" is definitely pointing at the light, so I doubt it's a mushroom, but we'll see, because I'm going to grow it out until identifiable.

I'll pull the pot out & try to take another pic from a better angle today.
andynorth, ChefDean liked this
By andynorth
Yes, I would definitely clip it. Maybe try what @Hollyhock did, (post442210.html#p442210). Throw in some water and forget about it. I had one that did the same thing. I let the flower grow because I did not know better and the plant ended up dyeing on me.
By Rob Tetrazona
I was unable to take a better pic than I already have w/o a macro lens, so I've decided to grow this thing out for the sake of my own personal research. The growth doesn't look any different today than it did when I first noticed it. I have more seedlings than I can count, so if I lose this one, it won't set me back. Besides that, I've never has a VFT flower before & can't expect one for a few years, so I'm going to treat this as my own personal learning experience. This is the most exciting thing to happen in my collection since I started germinating seeds this year!
By Intheswamp
I certainly can't say that I've let odd plants grow out to see what they are. I've got some pots of capillaris that have some "interesting" local plants that came up in them...mostly grasses, but a few other things, too. Some produce some pretty delicate looking flowers, too! :) Just be aware that some of these "volunteers" can end up with extensive root systems that can make it a very tedious process to extricate the main plant from...and from nearby plants, too.
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:42 pm I certainly can't say that I've let odd plants grow out to see what they are. I've got some pots of capillaris that have some "interesting" local plants that came up in them...mostly grasses, but a few other things, too. Some produce some pretty delicate looking flowers, too! :) Just be aware that some of these "volunteers" can end up with extensive root systems that can make it a very tedious process to extricate the main plant from...and from nearby plants, too.
I have the same issue. I had some Drosera that were getting choked out. Upon separating them I end up finding other Drosera in the pot, along with moss that just seems to suddenly appear in the mix and chokes everything out. I separated on plant and ended up with 4 different plants. I do not think I have had them long enough for the flowers to have produced seed from other pants and somehow get in to the pot so I can only attribute it to the seller had more in there than they thought. Either way I win.
By Intheswamp
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:42 pm I certainly can't say that I've I haven't let odd plants grow out to see what they are. I've got some pots of capillaris that have some "interesting" local plants that came up in them...mostly grasses, but a few other things, too. Some produce some pretty delicate looking flowers, too! :) Just be aware that some of these "volunteers" can end up with extensive root systems that can make it a very tedious process to extricate the main plant from...and from nearby plants, too.
ETA: To correct the above strikethrough and bold part. ;)
By Intheswamp
andynorth wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:14 pm
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:42 pm I certainly can't say that I've let odd plants grow out to see what they are. I've got some pots of capillaris that have some "interesting" local plants that came up in them...mostly grasses, but a few other things, too. Some produce some pretty delicate looking flowers, too! :) Just be aware that some of these "volunteers" can end up with extensive root systems that can make it a very tedious process to extricate the main plant from...and from nearby plants, too.
I have the same issue. I had some Drosera that were getting choked out. Upon separating them I end up finding other Drosera in the pot, along with moss that just seems to suddenly appear in the mix and chokes everything out. I separated on plant and ended up with 4 different plants. I do not think I have had them long enough for the flowers to have produced seed from other pants and somehow get in to the pot so I can only attribute it to the seller had more in there than they thought. Either way I win.
I would wager that the person your bought from had some flowers that went to seed close by...possibly even a different species.
andynorth liked this
Sundew dormancy

Hi all. It appears that my unknown volunteer sunde[…]

Peter D'Amato passed today

I'm sorry to hear this.

Hello from Chicago, Illinois.

I'm just starting out with carnivorous plants &[…]

Has anyone heard about this population of giant tr[…]

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!