FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Neogeoflykiller
Hi i was wondering if it's alright to water my new plants using water from the water purifier i have in the fridge?

If not what is the difference between distilled and purified, sorry but i'm just getting started and i want to give my plants the best chance.
How and where do i get distilled water?

Is winter time generally the dormancy period, and do i just put them in the shade eg. inside my place for 3 months or so!

I'm so glad that you guys are so into the plants you have created a sight.

Thank you.
By kittyklaws
I'm no expert but I do know you can get distilled water at a grocery store. I've heard from some people that water out of a purifier is fine, but others have contradicted. I'd go with distilled water though just to be safe. :D Sorry I'm not much help. Good luck finding answers to your other questions. I'm as clueless as you are. :lol:
By Matt
Neogeoflykiller wrote:If not what is the difference between distilled and purified
Distilled water is made from the process of collecting the steam of boiled water. The minerals in the water are to heavy to rise with the steam, so the water is pure water (no minerals or other contaminants).

"Purified water" is a pretty loose term which doesn't really tell you much about what the quality of the water is. Typically the minerals that make the water taste bad are removed, leaving behind the other minerals, which are bad for your plants.
Neogeoflykiller wrote:How and where do i get distilled water?
As Kelly said, you can get distilled water at any grocery or department store. It's less than $1 a gallon.
Neogeoflykiller wrote:Is winter time generally the dormancy period, and do i just put them in the shade eg. inside my place for 3 months or so!
Yes, winter time is dormancy time for all temperate carnivorous plants (Dionaea, Sarracenia, Darlingtonia and many species of Drosera) and they won't grow much during this time. However, you should still continue to give them as much sunlight as you can even when they're dormant so they can come back out healthy in the spring.
What the f-

I think it was a result of pesticides and / or the[…]

Oxygen Rot/Eating Itself

You won’t be able to save the trap, but the […]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

An assortment of sundews.

Noob with questions

this is the best 10min video for new grows i have […]

Your flytrap will be fine. Continue to give proper[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , We found a solution to add it to o[…]

Leafs with no traps

Welcome to the forum. How about a pic of your flyt[…]

Some flytraps

All seed grown from Matt and my seeds.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!