FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By taillon27
I recently bought a VFT from Lowes. I have tried growing one a while before, but never really did much research. I am going back to school in the Fall and was wondering what the best indoor set up would be for a single plant, preferably to fit on a desk or dresser. I was looking at something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Glentronics-PL-1- ... desk+lampo

But I was also considering getting just a normal desk lamp and then replacing the bulb with something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-89095 ... +6500k+26w.

I am also unsure as to what to put my VFT in. Currently it is in a pot that is only about 2-3" deep and about a 2" square all the way around. I have seen people putting them in fish bowls and other things of the sort. Do I need to put it in anything to help to increase the humidity? And should I repot it?

Any and all opinions and answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated!
By tom_e_boi
The Glentronics Intelligent Plant light fixture seem a little too pricey for me. Plus, I don't think that the fixture's 9-watt light would be sufficient for growing flytraps. I bought me one of these from Wal-Mart for around $7. It may not be as attractive, but it is quite more efficient at reflecting most of the light down towards my plants. I just clamped it into a corner shelf that I already had, and it fit right in perfectly. The florescent light you listed will work great. It's the same kind I used for mine, and my plants loved it. I used the light for my full grown flytraps up until it was warm enough to place them outside. However, I still use the light for my little seedlings.
taillon27 wrote:I have seen people putting them in fish bowls and other things of the sort. Do I need to put it in anything to help to increase the humidity? And should I repot it?
They don't need to be placed in any fish bowls, terrariums, etc. They'll do perfectly fine in a regular plastic pot. Preferably white, and at least 6"+ deep. I use those self-watering pots for mine, which keeps just enough water in the saucer so that the ends of my flytraps' roots stay nice and wet without the rest of the soil becoming soggy.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum! :)
tom_e_boi liked this
By taillon27
Thanks for the help! I'll try to post a picture of the plant in its pot, but considering the size of the pot alone should I just replant it?

So, should I replant this?
Last edited by taillon27 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
By tom_e_boi
taillon27 wrote:Thanks for the help! I'll try to post a picture of the plant in its pot, but considering the size of the pot alone should I just replant it?
Your flytrap would greatly benefit from a deeper pot, and they're not really bothered from being repotted. Just make sure to use the proper potting mix, and not ordinary potting soil. And never use any Miracle Gro brand products either.
By Brildayr
In my office, I use a common flexible 18" desklamp that I bought at Walmart for I think $15. I have it sitting on a couple books to be high enough for the pot my plants are in. I see Walmart listing them online at $30, but I'm sure I bought it locally for less than $20.

For the light, I just found a CFL from Menard's. 40W 6500K for $8. They used to only carry the 23W bulbs. I paid $20 for the last 43W bulb on Amazon. Menard's also has the 23W bulbs for $4 or $5. If you can, try to check locally first.
By Brildayr
My Lowe's rescue VFT has seemed to like it for the last couple of months or so :)

And it also has a 23W bulb right next to it.
23W 5000K (white lamp in back) and 40W 6500K (brown lamp in front)
23W 5000K (white lamp in back) and 40W 6500K (brown lamp in front)
twolamps.jpg (15.73 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
I'm thinking I may want to get a bulb lower than 5000K. Maybe 4500k or 4100K.
By tom_e_boi
taillon27 wrote:Is there a such thing as too much light? 43W on a CFL sounds like a ton.
Florescent lights don't really give off that much heat, just light. Flytraps love direct sunlight, so they can easily tolerate florescent lighting.
taillon27 wrote:Is 50% perlite and 50% sphagnum moss okay? That's what I have heard.
It all depends on your personal preferences. You can use any mixture of the following: peat moss, silica sand, perlite, or sphagnum moss. For mine, I use a 50%/50% blend of peat moss and silica sand, with a thin top layer of sphagnum moss (to prevent splashing). Some people use peat moss and perlite. All of those different mediums work fine for flytraps.
tom_e_boi liked this
By tom_e_boi
taillon27 wrote:Where would you get the sphagnum moss? And it isn't alive right?
That depends, most moss for sale is usually the dead stuff. But you can also purchase living moss from certain locations too. Both kinds are sold @ the FlyTrap Store for fairly cheap. I've bought some Better Gro moss from my local Lowes for around $5 bucks. And just so you know, not all sphagnum mosses are considered the same. There are some that are very poor quality, such as that which is sold under the Mosser Lee brand. I would steer clear of using it.
By opiumisback
If mosser lee is all that is available at your Lowes it will work but New Zealand moss I found to be the best. Heard a lot of good things about the Better Gro though like Tom was saying. I grow my plants in 100% LFS (Long Fibered Sphagnum moss) and they grow really nice in it.
opiumisback liked this
By taillon27
That is what I think mine is planted in currently, it just seems like it needs more space to grow than what it is currrently in.
By opiumisback
Check out selfwatering pots at walmart they are awesome. All my plants use them. I just bought four more of them an hour ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Misco-1654-Wateri ... ng+planter

Walmart has these for much cheaper like 2-10 dollars a pot depending on the size
By mnwatson1
opiumisback wrote:Check out selfwatering pots at walmart they are awesome. All my plants use them. I just bought four more of them an hour ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Misco-1654-Wateri ... ng+planter

Walmart has these for much cheaper like 2-10 dollars a pot depending on the size
I too attest to this! I love these things, they have done incredibly well for my plants, and cut down my watering tremendously. I use far less water in these than my tray ones, AND I've noticed I don't get the mosquito larvae, I don't know if it's the enclosure, the darkness, or what.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!