FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By lemonlily
I will grow them into a tree. I see one has a big crack on it. Which I thought it exploded because someone knocked it over. But it seems fine, so in a few weeks, I'll try and get a few pictures of it. But unfortunately, my camera is a bit broken, or what I call busted.

My Castanospermum Australe is growing new shoots out from the top and is growing really fast. I'll try and get pictures of that too.
By lemonlily
Yes, I did a blog about 13 days ago, somewhere there. My camera is sometimes busted and sometimes not. I took some pictures today and did another blog. My plant grows really fast. Take a look. http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivorous-plant-blog.html
By lemonlily
One of the avocado pits sprouted, would anyone like to see a picture of it? But to be honest, it looks boring. Just a purple stem coming out from a pit.
By Caleboy 123
That's cool, I'm planning on collecting apple seeds and growing a tree.
By lemonlily
That's great! I love it when people try and grow things from seeds out of a fruit. Or other things like carrot tops, pineapple tops, and potatoes.
By vanillaXtiffy
That's pretty cool. I wonder what other kinds of things you can plant that people would normally just discard? I once planted a potato. The end result was a big leafy plant, and an exploding rotten mess under the ground.
By lemonlily
Wow, you didn't get any potatoes? I want potatoes... I think there are many things you can plant. But there are some things that we don't know how to plant. That is the problem. I once tried the carrot top, but it never grew, so that was a mess. I have 3 avocado pits, only one sprouted.
By WORMSS
I'm the same but wanna grow sunflowers..

im guessing the ones u buy to eat would never actually germinate?
so i might just go out and get some seeds that will. :D
By lemonlily
Maybe the carrot was in the fridge for too long. The avocado pit was from the grocery store. We left it in the fridge but then I remembered I was going to plant them, so I ook them out. I would like to grow pineapples from the top of it. I know, pineapples don't come from the top of the pineapple, but I went and did some research. Some people said within a year or three, it will have pineapples. Carrots don't work the same way, but you can have a house plant for a few months. Looks like some plants are also like Dionaea, can be grown with different parts. And with some fruits, get more fruits!

Sunflowers... They need a lot of space. Better in the ground. I tried putting a seed in a pot and by the end of summer (I think,) I couldn't take it out!
By vanillaXtiffy
I grew sunflowers in my garden a few years in a row. I don't suggest growing them in a pot, they get HUGE. I just got cheap (growing) seeds from the dollar store. You can use the ones we eat because those are roasted. I stopped growing them because they attracted large quantities or earwigs at night and then I started finding them in my house, and those things freak me out to no end. Does anyone have experience growing pumkpins? I always try that but never get past the flower stage.
By lemonlily
We can use the ones we eat? I thought the seed dies after the heat of roasting. I've never grown pumpkins, I don't have enough space! And about pumpkins, is there something wrong with the really big, huge ones? Anything do do with chemicals, or the kind of pumpkin they are?
By Redneck_Angel
My brother in law has luck with pumpkins. Last year he had one larger than his kids. It was awesome! Made an incredible jack-o-lantern :lol:

I have no idea what his secret is though. I don't think he knows. He just plants stuff and sees what it'll do.

I do know that if you can get it to the pumpkin stage, it's best if you can keep it slightly off the ground so it won't rot.
By lemonlily
Yeah, I just plant something and see what happens. How big was that pumpkin?
By Redneck_Angel
Um..... close to 100lbs if I'm remembering correctly.

At the time his oldest child was 6, and when the kid lay down beside the pumpkin, the pumpkin was taller than the kid. It was pretty incredible.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!