FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
I have a baby Cupped Traps VFT on the way but it's been 1.5 days and it has not arrive and I am not sure if the mail service I'm using does Saturday mail (I hope they do) and if they don't then it will need to stay another 2-3 days. How long can VFTs of this size survive in shipment? It's being shipped bareroot with moss around the roots and in a damp paper towel (I've bought from this seller a few times)
By Orit
I have had the post office lose my packages quite often. the longest was over Christmas last year and I think it ended up being about a week in transit. they were fine. i think dormancy helps this time of year.
Orit liked this
By Sakaaaaa
Orit wrote:I have had the post office lose my packages quite often. the longest was over Christmas last year and I think it ended up being about a week in transit. they were fine. i think dormancy helps this time of year.
Ahahaha, good point. The seller I get it from never talks about dormancy in his short "care guides" but the VFT 'Royal Red' I recieved seemed to be dormant but his VFT 'Dentate' pics show large upright growth and his Akai Ryu pics show low-lying traps. But that's not the topic of this thread :P
By riveraXVX
I think a lot would come down to the weather at the time, if it was dead of summer and miserable hot, I'd expect a lot shorter lifespan in transit, anything more mild or even dipping on the colder end of the spectrum as long as wrapped in damp sphag and bagged.. I imagine they could live for some time. (a lot of people do fridge dormancy that way for months in a similar manner)
riveraXVX liked this
By Sakaaaaa
riveraXVX wrote:I think a lot would come down to the weather at the time, if it was dead of summer and miserable hot, I'd expect a lot shorter lifespan in transit, anything more mild or even dipping on the colder end of the spectrum as long as wrapped in damp sphag and bagged.. I imagine they could live for some time. (a lot of people do fridge dormancy that way for months in a similar manner)
Good point. The temperature here has dropped a little because there's barely any sun and it's raining. So I guess the plant will think it's in dormancy and then I'll bring it out again :lol:
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!