FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Do you use the refrigerator method? I have an unheated south facing porch in the place that I currently live that works out nicely for wintering Venus Fly Traps. I put them in there in the late fall when temperatures start getting down to freezing at night (usually mid to late October). They stay there all winter with temperatures between 35 and 65 degrees F. They start coming out of dormancy around mid-February when the days start lengthening. Works out great!
By Macca
Hi Matt, nice site you've got here by the way.
Last edited by Macca on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Matt
Macca wrote:Hi Matt, nice site you've got here by the way.
Thanks Macca! I sure hope that it takes off as a community. That would really make me happy. There are a few people who post actively in the forum, but it's not quite as large as some of the other CP forums yet. I'd also like to see people start using the Blogging feature. That would be neat.
Macca wrote:So anyway Matt do you find your plants exhibit the sighns for dormancy in your hot desert climate just fine without subjecting them to drawn out teachniques like placing the plants in the fridge everynight for a month
I actually live in Zone 5, so although the summer time is somewhat desert like, the winter is quite cold and snowy with extended freezes, so I can't leave my VFTs outside. I can however leave them on an unheated south-facing porch that is usually between 40 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit where they get quite a bit of sun, but of course due to the shortened days, remain dormant until the days start lengthening in February.

Thanks for chiming in with your experiences with dormancy!
By Macca
Oh so your desert climate is deceptive, unlike Australias hot deserts yours experiances snow in winter, guess it's the high altitude.....

I'm over cps for the moment anyway too much bother i find, see you around sometime.
By Matt
Macca wrote:I'm over cps for the moment anyway too much bother i find, see you around sometime.
No way! I don't think I'll ever consider them too much trouble. I think that they are so magnificent and actually quite easy to grow.
By Macca
Actually you are so right.....I just got disheartened because the cultivar I chose to re-start my interest in these plants isn't to my liking....Venus Flytraps are amazing, it's just important to choose the right cultivar!
By lemonlily
i leave mine outside. it's not really that cold. probably around 10 degrees celcius.
By lemonlily
extra extra natural Matt! in dormantcy, do the leaves close before the turn black?
By EXD
Matt wrote:Do you use the refrigerator method? I have an unheated south facing porch in the place that I currently live that works out nicely for wintering Venus Fly Traps. I put them in there in the late fall when temperatures start getting down to freezing at night (usually mid to late October). They stay there all winter with temperatures between 35 and 65 degrees F. They start coming out of dormancy around mid-February when the days start lengthening. Works out great!
Hi Matt, may I ask, will this method work with temperatures (day and night) ranging from 55 to 70 degrees fahrenheit? Just leaving it out on a balcony?
By Dogstar
I also have an enclosed "sun porch" where I leave my plants summer and winter. It stays usually 50-60 degrees during the winter (thanks to some poor insulation) which seems to work fine. Last year was my first try with VFT dormancy and I lost one, I'm pretty sure I was watering too much and it succumbed to root rot. This year my collection has grown so I'll have to be more careful to not water too much during dormancy and hopefully come spring I will have nice vigorous growth!
By EXD
Matt wrote:
EXD wrote:Hi Matt, may I ask, will this method work with temperatures (day and night) ranging from 55 to 70 degrees fahrenheit? Just leaving it out on a balcony?
Yes, that sounds ideal actually!
Sorry for a second question, but do I just water the plant less or do I stop watering it completely for dormancy? Thanks.
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!