FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Ella
Hi people! Call me Ella. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns. I don’t really care which one.

I recently bought a vft from my local grocery store and I wanted to know how to take care of it. I found this website and it is wonderful. I will repot it as soon as I get some sphagnum moss and perlite. I named it Tartarus because I love the Greek and Roman myths. I think it is healthy. I am slowly acclimating him to full sun so he can be outside on warm days. I am still not sure about dormancy, so I will probably not try that until I learn more.

By Amount_Paid
Hi Ella, Welcome to the forums. VFTs are pretty easy to care for, I’ll provide you some care tips.
Only use Distilled Water, Rain Water or RO
Plastic Pots with drainage holes at the bottom
A good and most used potting mix Is Sphagnum Peat Moss and Perlite 50/50 ratio. You can also top dress the soil with some LFSM.
Also try to provide at least 4 hours of direct sunlight to your plant, if that’s not possible use can just use artificial lighting.
Now for dormancy you can use the fridge method there’s a lot of videos on how to properly use it. Or you can put them outside depending on your Zone. Usually if you have them outside you want them in a bigger pot to prevent freezing and take them back inside if there’s harsh frost or if the temperature is below freezing. Some people actually build bog gardens for their carnivorous plants and mulch them in the winter time to prevent freezing and harsh frost from hurting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amount_Paid liked this
By Ella
Thanks. I think I am in the right climate. We get so much rain though. I’ll probably keep my vtf on my porch.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!