FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By carelerasmus
As long as it receives about 6hours or more of direct sunlight, and bright indirect sunlight otherwise, it should be enough

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By tommyr
It may do O.K. but indoor window Sun is not quite the same as direct outdoor Sun. Time will tell.
By Vega
How hot is your climate? I keep mine out all summer. It went over 100 F for a few weeks this year. If it is really hot where you live consider setting them where they receive some shade during the hotter parts of the day.
By ChefDean
You'll likely hear it often here, but VFT's do much better outside. I learned the hard way myself.
Sunlight coming through a window gets filtered due to the nature of the window itself, and it can potentially get selectively magnified due to imperfections in the glass. Direct, outdoor light is best.
If you're worried about temperatures, try to position the plant in a place to get direct morning light. While it may be somewhat intense, the temps are lower so the direct light is not compounded by high heat. Then, as the day progresses to higher temps, if selectively placed, they are shaded during the hottest part of the day.
Upside, you are giving them as close to wild conditions as possible, and they'll likely do much better. Downside, you'll need to pay more attention to moisture levels and will need to water more.
As far as the red being a more sensitive plant, I don't know about that. But many cultivars get some red coloration, anywhere from slight pink to a dark purple, that becomes more pronounced in direct, unfiltered, outdoor sunlight.
Just my opinion, but they're your plants at the end of the day.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!