FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Marie
I was so pleased to find this forum. I purchased a very small venus yesterday.
I really want this one to survive, so am reading up on what to do.
I transferred it to a new pot with peat moss, as I know it had been watered with tap water at where I bought it. So I am hoping I haven't harmed it by moving it. I am using rain water for it.
I live in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, we can have hot summers, but also cold winters with usually a number of frosts.
By Matt
Hello Marie and welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you found the forum as well. I can tell already from your one post that you are in love with Venus Fly Traps like so many other people here.

You can definitely find out the information here that you need to grow your plant successfully. I will, as will other members I'm sure, be happy to answer any questions you have if you aren't sure about something.

It sounds like you have already done a fair amount of reading and adjusted your care techniques. I'm sure that your newly acquired Venus Fly Trap will thrive!

Post some photos if you get a chance. I'd love to see your new plant!
By Carl
Hi Marie, Welcome to FlyTrapCare Forum. Sounds like you’re off to a great start and a good idea to re-pot if it's been watered with tap water. Keep us updated and if you can it would be great to see some pictures

Carl
By linton
Hi Marie and welcome, it's nice to have another Australian join the forum. Good luck with your new fly trap - sounds like you're off to a good start.
By grant
Welcome to the forum. Fly traps, surprisingly enough, are fairly easy to grow. Im sure you will learn alot here :)
By Marie
Thank you all for such an encouraging welcome :D
I am really hoping to do well with my Venus and am feeling like an anxious new parent, hovering over it :lol:
It is so reassuring to know I can cry for help here. Thanks :D
By Carl
Giovanni, I think we've all killed one or two in our time, especially the older members like me that tried growing these before the Internet was invented. :D
By Matt
I killed at least one a year for a while when I was a young kid. I haven't killed any plants since I started growing them again about 1.5 years ago. I did, however, lose some plants that I ordered from Cook's, but from what I understand, this isn't uncommon. They didn't last more than a few weeks.
By lemonlily
Matt wrote:I killed at least one a year for a while when I was a young kid. I haven't killed any plants since I started growing them again about 1.5 years ago. I did, however, lose some plants that I ordered from Cook's, but from what I understand, this isn't uncommon. They didn't last more than a few weeks.
Was that because it came being almost dead? Right now, I'm sure you can save plants that aren't too far ahead in dying. I've never killed one because I just bought it about two months ago. And through it going dormant, I don't have to worry. :D

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!