FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By gage
i really want to get going on a tc but dont know how to really do it, ive read several articles but they are vague so i was wondering if someone could make a list of the necessities and how to do it step by step. Thanks!
By goldslinger
I read the FAQ sticky in this forum at the top of the thread list. It will give You info and links that are also helpful.

Buy the book 'Plants from Test tubes' from Amazon.

Read everything You can get Your hands onto online, books, etc. and ask questions like I do here. ( I always do a thread topic search first, though) before asking a question.

Document everything, Your compositions and methods. Trial and error. You may only be doing one tiny thing wrong, but it could be the thing that makes or breaks a successful culture.

Supplies, nutrients, some chemicals an be bought from Phytotech online to name One.

Here is a thrown together arbitrary list in which most all are essential:

I had a precision scale, but didn't have the pressure cooker and that was about $100.00 for a 21 Q. size.
You won't need a precision scale to start out with, but soon You will be wanting to experiment with Hormones, Plant growth regulators, etc. and You will want a scale for that and it needs to read to .001 Gram for best accuracy.

Baby food jars, magenta caps, forceps, some type of home fashioned sterile container to work under like an aquarium set on it's side or large storage container, Tween 20 or dish soap, alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, Clorox, sharp knife, flourescent light fixture,
a couple of spray bottles, different size measuring cups, 1 liter, .5 liter measuring containers, MS, VITAMINS, PPM, Agar from the health food store or online, dropper bottle, an old pot, disposable pipettes 1ml., 1ml syringes, 5ml syringe, and 30ml syringe is helpful,

alot of stuff can be found on E-BAY including the baby bottles, syringes, measuring cups, etc., Your grocery store for alot of the stuff, too.

A quality PH METER, I can't seem to get even the good grade ph strips to read accurately.

You will accumulate stuff quickly as You see what You need.

The more You have, the better Your chances of success, as it appears it has little tolerance for error.

I have over $350.00 in it by now, but I didn't do it half baked, and have used virtually everything I have on this list on My very first TC. Wished I had the PPM in time, so it is a real test.

I will end this by simply stating that You WILL get all of Your Money back selling, trading, (so You don't have to buy another type), just a small portion of the plants You micropropogate and the number of plants You can get can potentially be really BIG, so make sure You have room somewhere for all of those plants coming out of Your cultures ! !

You can do it, everything worthwhile is hard before it is easy !
By gage
thanks alot!
By kevinqwe
well you shouldnt do it if you arent experienced with vft, their conditions and how to propagate them. if all of a sudden you dont want to do it, it will waste a lot of money and time!!
By gage
im pretty good with chemistry though so i think that should make up for my inexperience with flytraps
By hackerberry
Good luck on the TC gage, just drop us some specific questions so we can help you with this new vernture.

hb
By gage
allright i will when i get started, im still getting more info though now

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Agreed, no plant seed cross will ever breed tue du[…]

I’m looking to purchase some sarrs and I&r[…]

Sundew in forest

Moving amphibians around is a very bad idea. Tha[…]

Amazon and eBay are your friend. Check both for gr[…]

How quick do VFT roots grow?

Water the same using tray method but top water a f[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

If only more people knew

Good points!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!