FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Tiffani
Hello everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself as I will be posting a lot here. My name is Tiffani. Just received my first Dionaea 'B52" and Cup trap today. I am very excited about acquiring these little guys and am open to any and all suggestions as to how I can keep them healthy and happy. Right now I'm living in Ohio and the temps here are very very cold (8-10 degrees at night high of around 20-mid 20's during the day) I want to make sure that these don't get too cold but also are allowed to go through the proper dormancy period for these plants. Right now I have them in the garage but there are no windows so I have a fluorescent bulb for them. Any suggestions would be great!
By Daniel_G
well those temps sound perfect for dormancy :D also in the spring when they come out of dormancy try and give them over 6 hours of light.also i'd just like to say how amazing your choise of plants is :D B52 produce massive traps :D so they can eat big bugs and cupped trap... has cupped traps :lol: anyway i can ramble on a bit so i'll stop here lol

anyway welcome to the FTC community :D
By dantt99
You are very lucky! I love B52 but can't seem to get one because they are always out of stock and I want to get one from Matt and Steve :D . Happy growing and welcome to the forums :)
By Steve_D
Tiffani-- Hello and welcome to the FlytrapCare Forum.

Regarding dormancy for Venus Flytraps, it is better for them if you keep them from freezing. Low temperatures in the low 40s to mid 50s Fahrenheit are great, and it's OK for daytime temperatures to rise higher than that.

Be sure to keep the plants and their growing medium drier during dormancy, when their water needs are drastically diminished. Being too wet and cold at the same time can encourage rot.

There are a tremendous number of helpful discussions about dormancy here at the Forum, which include the reasons (or reasoning) for the advice given above. Just do a search for the word "dormancy."

Best wishes and good luck-- :)
By Tiffani
Ty everyone for the warm welcome! =)

@Steve_D thank you for that information. I have read a lot of info on this forum, but I guess I'm just a little paranoid. I want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing for these guys. So far, it looks like I am doing great as far as the dormancy period is concerned. Looking forward to learning a lot from all of you!

-Tiffani
By snapperhead51
Hi
we chatted a bit the other day, so welcome again :mrgreen: you will be fine with your VFt's I am sure good CP'ing
J
By Scuzzles
Greetings and welcome Tiffani! I'm still a newbie so I won't offer any advice but I can say I know what you mean about being a little paranoid :D

Loving the avatars BTW squirtoman and Tiffani! :)
By dimitar
Welcome aboard!

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!