FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
I guess this would be a good question for Matt. But anyone else feel free to answer. I low Flytraps that grow low and nearer to the ground. I also love Red Flytraps and Giant flytraps like Low Giant, Big Mouth, B52 and G16.

Are there any known red cultivars that combine the three traits of large traps, red coloration and low growth ? I like Maroon Monster but it has long slender leaves.

Matt ... you must have a million plants growing in your collection ? Maybe you have a red typical growing somewhere that has all of the traits I'm looking for ?
By Matt
Unfortunately I don't know of any flytrap with those traits. Maroon Monster is the only one that gets fairly large and it doesn't stay low growing all year. Pink Venus stays low, but doesn't get as large. Looks like there is a need for someone to make one! :)
By evenwind
What about Bohemian Garnet? Or Wally? (Okay, Wally's not solid red but it gets pretty dark.)
By Matt
Bohemian Garnet stays pretty small, as is described in its registration with the ICPS:
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultiv ... cp_id=1811
3)Adult plants are about 4-6 cm in diameter, only about half the size of most
Though, we've had them get quite a bit larger than that, they don't ever get really big like Maroon Monster or some of the other giants.

Wally is a nice plant that can get deep red trap coloration, but it's not an all-red plant like Mike is looking for.
By evenwind
Matt wrote:Bohemian Garnet stays pretty small, as is described in its registration with the ICPS:
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultiv ... cp_id=1811
3)Adult plants are about 4-6 cm in diameter, only about half the size of most
Though, we've had them get quite a bit larger than that, they don't ever get really big like Maroon Monster or some of the other giants.

Wally is a nice plant that can get deep red trap coloration, but it's not an all-red plant like Mike is looking for.
Certainly true. I was thinking in terms of large traps, not large plants. For me, both of them put out larger-than-average traps.
By mdeford09
If any one finds a large, low, and red plant... let me know! haha.

The low pretty growth on Pink Venus is what makes me love it so much. FTS Maroon Monster destroys it via size but, does not look quite as neat/clean (in my opinion, of course).

But, as the owner of several red varieties I have found that all red plants seem to be a on the smaller side and maroon monster is the only one I have seen that goes against that trend. But, even so, Maroon Monster is most certainly no match for a giant clone. At least as far as size goes. So I think finding a HUGE clone that is also red red may be impossible.

But, who knows! The more crossing and growing we all do, the more likely it will be that some freak shows up :)
By katya_dog1
Sounds like someone needs to cross a bunch of different red and giant varieties together and grow the seeds out from each cross.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!