FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By -Stanley-
For some reason all of my flytraps decided that they want to live under the sphagnum moss in their pots. This is getting very annoying for me to deal with. I really don't want to repot them every season, so what else can I do? I've already removed an inch of moss and so I really don't want to go any further.
Attachments:
IMG_3410.JPG
IMG_3410.JPG (2.76 MiB) Viewed 1476 times
By -Stanley-
Hmm ok, but the sphagnum layer is only an 2 inches and everything under is peat.
By Camden
I’ve had this problem too, I have no idea why they do this. In your situation, I wonder if they might be reaching for the peat if that makes any sense.
By -Stanley-
Camden wrote: In your situation, I wonder if they might be reaching for the peat if that makes any sense.
I see what you mean there, Yea they are almost at the peat level.

I kind of don't like the position of the plant in the picture because its growing in the direction of the pot, should I repot it?
By davinstewart
Just plan on repotting annually. The plants will get a boost and it minimizes the whole subterranial urge for vfts
By -Stanley-
Alright thanks for the help. Should I rinse peat before using it?
By Intheswamp
-Stanley- wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:38 am Alright thanks for the help. Should I rinse peat before using it?
I usually rinse anything I use....peat moss, perlite, LFSM, sand...but I'm "OCD-Me". ;) Lots of people don't rinse and do ok. I just feel better if I rinse first, though. Remember to use low-TDS water. It appears to be agreed that if nothing else rinsing the peat moss helps lower the incidence of, or the amount of, mold and algae growing in the pots. Definitely rinse the perlite and sand, especially the perlite. But, of course, this comes from, again, OCD-Me!!!! :mrgreen:
-Stanley-, andynorth liked this
By Gary
My VFTs seem to want to pull themselves down as well, but only in the 4" pots. I've had to dig out a few of them so that new growth wasn't being impeded. I have several that are growing in a large "community" planter and none of them are digging in.
They'll all be repotted after dormancy, and I'll try to keep the rhizomes at media level and see if they keep trying to hide.

Has anyone heard about this population of giant tr[…]

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!