FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By bugman
I have found a source of gelrite in the UK but it is pricey but they can offer Gellan Gum much cheaper does anyone usethis and what is the difference between this and gelrite?
bugman liked this
By BradR
It's the same. Gelrite and Phytagel are just trade names for Gellan Gum. The generic Gellan Gum may not be quite as highly refined, but I use both and cannot tell the difference.

Brad
By bugman
I forgot to add the company says it unpurified so I take that is still ok?
By BradR
bugman wrote:I forgot to add the company says it unpurified so I take that is still ok?
Personally, I would avoid anything that says "unpurified". The generic Gellan Gum I use is the G434 from Phytotechnology Labs. It's generic but it's Plant tissue culture tested. It sets perfectly clear, gels reliably every time, and is less expensive than Gelrite. You could try it on some Flytraps and see. They are hard to kill in vitro. Your media is only as good as it's weakest component.

Brad
By drosophyllum
BradR wrote:It's the same. Gelrite and Phytagel are just trade names for Gellan Gum. The generic Gellan Gum may not be quite as highly refined, but I use both and cannot tell the difference.

Brad
Regarding this, I have to say that gellan gums I tested are not the same as Gelrite (I haven't tested Phytagel sorry).

I received some samples of Gellam gum (Caisson), and with diluted media, it didn't gel, even with 10-12 grams per liter. With gelrite, only 2 grams, it gelled with a perfect consistency.

In my opinion it depends on the source you purchase it, but as Brad said, I wouldn't trust in unpurified stuff.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!