FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By CARNIVOR
It seems that I have a pest problem. There seems to be little flies around my carnivorous plants and identified them as fungus gnats. What is a poper way to get rid of them completely? Will butterwort be helpful?
By Matt
Butterworts will mop them up quite efficiently, as will most species of Drosera.

If you really want to get rid of them, you can put mosquito dunks in the tray. It won't kill the ones that are already flying, but it will kill the larvae, so in a couple of weeks you won't have any more fungus gnats. I usually just let them go. Small flytrap traps can catch them and actually give the plants a small boost :)
By Darkrai283
You can also get some smaller species of Mantids to take care of them. :mrgreen:

Some guy I know has about 3 or 4 adult Miomantis Paykulii let loose in his room where he keeps his CPs. He says that they usually take care of the population of fungus gnats, midges and other flying pests when his CPs don't feel like eating them. :lol:
By andrelima
evry cp with glue will give you a help :Dmy regias help me :D
By Darkrai283
andrelima wrote:evry cp with glue will give you a help my regias help me
I often find that my Pings are better at catching fungus gnats than my Droseras.
By andrelima
oh yea if you have pings they are the devil :D eheheheh ,mosquitoes love pings and the pings love mosquitoes xDDD
Last edited by andrelima on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CARNIVOR
I doubt my drosera plants will catch any of them, they seem dormant so I guess I go to buy a butterwort
By Darkrai283
CARNIVOR wrote:they seem dormant so I guess I go to buy a butterwort
You can get mosquito dunks to put in your tray as Matt said. I'm guessing that they'll be cheaper to buy than an actual Ping.
By CARNIVOR
So the mosquito dunks need to be dipped in water or can I put them next to the plants?
By andrelima
you can always put a litle pot with water biside your plants ,think its better
By xr280xr
My D. Capensis have been awesome for them. They haven't complexity eliminated them, but are keeping them under control and I don't mind cause the flies are keeping the plants well fed.
By Vern
I grow other plants next to my CPs while they're indoors, I can never get rid of the gnats but decreasing watering seem to help, then my growing capensis with is long tendrils grab whatever gnats near by. I have to say they've been very well fed though this winter without me doing anything, they went from 3 inches tall to nearly past 4in now, I'm sure the pre-winter repot and sun helped too.

Spatulata got caught some too but not as many as the capensis, I figure because capensis has more vertical height.
By Tracker
You can use a cup of wine vinegar near the plants, the gnats will prefer the wine vinegar.
Thats not a measured cup, just a container a little bigger than you dunk chicken nuggets into
will work. I was amazed how well and fast it worked.
If the gnats keep apearing, they likely will have found thier way into your drain traps.
Put some clorox down them to take care of any that might have found thier way there.
Hope this helps

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!