FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
The FlytrapCare / FlytrapStore Gnome (all 22 millimeters or 7/8 inch of him) recently traveled 1,600 miles (2,575 kilometers) from New Mexico to Oregon, U.S. to visit Matt and his wife for six days!

The Gnome enjoyed every moment of the visit. The scenery was terrific. Matt and his wife were both very welcoming, warm and charming, and ensured that the Gnome was comfortable and happy. He had a wonderful time touring and critiqueing Matt's greenhouses and plants, giving Matt a few suggestions on how to do tissue culture better (even though the FTS Gnome has never done it before), grudgingly approved of Matt's extensive tissue culture and nursery setup (frustrated that he couldn't find too much fault with any of it), but sometimes was preoccupied with trying to stay away from Matt's two cats who relentlessly and mercilessly pursued the Gnome and batted him between their paws whenever they caught him.

The only downside (from the Gnome's point of view) was that Steve had to tag along. What a wet blanket he was on all of the possible fun everyone could have had. However, from Steve's point of view, the Gnome was his usual imperious, grumpy self, and Steve decided to enjoy himself despite the Gnome's nagging demanding self. In fact, Steve loved seeing all of Matt's many thousand Venus Flytraps and other plants, and helping to pot, repot and ship lots of Venus Flytraps which are probably looking forward to a very nice growing season. Steve also enjoyed seeing a little of the beautiful Oregon landscape (when it wasn't raining, which wasn't often) and left the Gnome sulking back at Matt's house during these excursions.

But in short, the Gnome had a great time, Steve had an even better time, and the trip and visit were very enjoyable. Below, Matt and the Gnome in Matt's backyard after a tour of the three greenhouses.
FTS-Gnome-visits-Matt.jpg
FTS-Gnome-visits-Matt.jpg (71.37 KiB) Viewed 6777 times
Steve_D, Steve_D, Steve_D and 4 others liked this
By dantt99
Awesome! But no pics of you, Steve? :(
By Steve_D
dantt99 wrote:But no pics of you, Steve?
I'm an old man (59 years old). No photo, no matter how flattering, can make me look good. I'm way past my prime, my grave is already dug and just waiting with open maw for me to finally relent and jump in. You don't want to see a photo of a person who's already half a corpse, do you? :D
By frog
Good Story loved every bit of it even the third person (or Gnome in this case) view
By jht-union
Nice steve, did you took any pic of the VFT's with the gnome!! :)
Very nice story!! :)
I hope some day to have the FTS gnome, i will put it in the trap with the head outside! =D
By dantt99
Steve_D wrote:You don't want to see a photo of a person who's already half a corpse, do you? :D
Yes, I do XD
By Steve_D
dantt99 wrote:Yes, I do
OK, here you go! Just a quick snapshot of me at home.
I'm always this relaxed.
steve-at-home-with-flytraps.jpg
steve-at-home-with-flytraps.jpg (49.98 KiB) Viewed 6709 times
Steve_D liked this
By HarrisAz
what a nice visit for the Gnome!

btw,Steve,u dont look so old like you mention to us.you look like 48s-55s something. :)

i miss FTC very much today.havent been online for almost 2weeks!
By prized
Steve_D wrote:OK, here you go! Just a quick snapshot of me at home.
I'm always this relaxed.
steve-at-home-with-flytraps.jpg
Lol!! :lol: I wonder how you look like when you are busy and stressed ;)

BTW Is the gnome Gnomeo from Gnomeo and Juliet???? ahuahuahuah
By dantt99
Thanks Steve, if I was guessing from that pic (plus the energy) I'd say you were about 50, not more....
By Steve_D
dantt99 wrote:Thanks Steve, if I was guessing from that pic (plus the energy) I'd say you were about 50, not more....
Well, I'm 59, but most people guess that I'm just 58 or so, give or take a few years. :)

I usually look a lot sadder, more downcast, haggard, care-worn-- well, pathetic, really. I was just putting on a "happy face" for the camera since you insisted on a photo. :) The nicest things in the photo are the Venus Flytraps, which continually renew themselves with fresh leaves for many decades, never looking older. If only humans could grow fresh new arms, legs, heads ... :D
By jht-union
Steve, no estas para nada viejo, la edad vieja comienza a la edad cuando uno comienza a depender de los demas por que uno ya no puede hacer sus cosas solo/a, y tiene que depender de la familia, o otras personas para poder vivir. Cuando se vuelve uno nino/a de nuevo es cuando uno ya entro a la edad vieja, y despues de esa edad; uno entra a la edad esqueletica, esa es la edad de la muerte! :D
By Steve_D
jht-union wrote:Steve, no estas para nada viejo, la edad vieja comienza a la edad cuando uno comienza a depender de los demas por que uno ya no puede hacer sus cosas solo/a, y tiene que depender de la familia, o otras personas para poder vivir. Cuando se vuelve uno nino/a de nuevo es cuando uno ya entro a la edad vieja, y despues de esa edad; uno entra a la edad esqueletica, esa es la edad de la muerte!
I'll try to translate. :)

Steve, you're not at all old. Old age begins at the age when one begins to depend on others because one can't do things alone and has to depend on family or other persons in order to live. When one turns into a child again is when one enters old age, and after that age a person enters the age of emaciation, and that is when one dies.

Well, that "skeletal age" sounds interesting! Thanks for another Spanish lesson, jht-union. I'm learning little by little. :D
By jht-union
por supuesto que la edad esqueletica nos sacara afuera de este mundo loco! :D
Perdon por la pregunta steve, pero, que haras tu de tus plantas?, yo se que es dificil de decir cuando todavia te quedan mas de 80anos de vida! ;) , estoy equivocado al asumir que matt se apoderara de tus plantas?

Oh steve, como siguieron tus plantas despues de ese ataque de los acaros? Ya estas de nuevo comercializando tus plantas?
Buena suerte! :)

Certainly the skeletal age will get us out of this crazy world! :D
Sorry for the question steve, but, what will you do with your plants?, i know is hard to tell when you still have more than 80 years of life! ;) , am i wrong at assuming that matt will take over your plants?
Oh steve, how are your plants doing after that spider mite attack?, are you merchandising your plants again?
Good luck! :)
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!