FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Fly522_
I leave my traps on a screened in deck, once in awhile a hornet gets in. I'm assuming one of them was all over my plant and closed every trap until he got caught in one (Little A-hole :lol: ) . Is it unhealthy for the plant that it got triggered to close with nothing inside?
And how many times can it open and close without a successful trap?
Was disappointing because they all looked so pretty when there all open.

Thanks!
By nycredneck
That's nothing, yesterday I brought my new rescue VFT to work and let it sun itself on the pier. When I checked up on it I found a seagull had pecked off one trap and completely dislodged the whole plant, I found the guilty party right near the piers edge with the plant at its feet. I got there just in time and quickly gathered up plant and media and got it all back together in a hurry... so far so good.
By schmeg
Trap mechanics may vary from plant to plant. Some of mine snap fast and re-open within a few hours if there was a misfire. Others close v e r y s l o w l y and seem to stay shut for days.

To your question: I have observed traps getting triggered and re-opening by the next day, without harm. My UK Sawtooth II in particular has happy traps that have closed and opened several times without food and still look strong.
By Fly522_
Yeah so it took a out 8-12 hours for them to reopen.

I have a (Red dragon) fly trap and I'm just trying to get it as big as possible prior to the dormancy period in hopes for next spring will be good to go. Feel like when the traps are messed with it takes a lot of engry for the plant to reopen but I could be totally wrong.
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!