FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Mark123
Hello, I am planning on propagating my G16's flower stalk into cuttings. Should I straight up leave them in the strong direct California sun on day one, or is that gonna decrease the chances of getting a strike? Or should I give them an hour or so on the first day and increasing the direct sunlight time each day. The sun is very strong here and its my first time doing a flower stalk propagation. Lmk!
By ChefDean
Just stick it into the media right next to the mother plant if there's room, it's already used to the sun. However, it will take around a month or more for strikes if they happen.
By Mark123
Alright I appreciate your help! Idk if its true but I heard when propagating stalks, the soil should be way more damp than normal? Like always damp and never dried out? I usually let all my pots dry out then re-water, should I treat the stalks the same way with plants, watering-wise?
By Panman
Mark123 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:09 pm Alright I appreciate your help! Idk if its true but I heard when propagating stalks, the soil should be way more damp than normal? Like always damp and never dried out?
Yes, it needs to be continuously damp. Since the stalks don't have roots to absorb moisture, they are dependent on the moisture that they already have. If the surface is allowed to dry out, it will draw moisture out of the material you are trying to root. Cuttings/pullings/etc. also do better with increased humidity for the same reason, although you run the risk of mold/fungus.
Mark123 liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!