FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_M

hope it works.

anything i should know? is there anything i need to do in a different manner, compared to a normal full grown plant? less/more water, heat, light etc.
By jimbob999
Hi

Im going to join you in an attempt at planting a flower stalk, my mature venus fly trap has had two stalks already which i grew them for seeds. Now a THIRD! has started to grow! With seed orders from steve (flytrap ranch) and another bunch of seeds coming from my flowers im in no need to grow the third stalk, so i was thinking of chopping it off and putting in a media and seeing what happens!

Im in the same boat as you matey, not too sure the best way about doing it? :s

How long should the stalk be before chopping it?
Does it need to be super sterile?
Whats a good medium to pot the stalk in?
Bottom water as normal?

Any help would be great!

Cheers

Jimbob

PS: Steve, I grow my VFT in bowls like urs lol!
By Steve_M
just for the record, i cut the stalk at about 7cm long ~2.75 inches, i planted it in very very fresh peat moss/perlite mix i bought from my local store and i watered it lots from beneath the pot because the soil was still awfully dry and, anyway i think you know how unused soil is like :pPP

iono about the proper conditions its meant to be but my normal traps are flourishing in a dry environment with tons of burning hot sun && a very long duration of light( its summer here, about 85 fahrenheit minimum id say), and i actually know that besides the light, everything else is not a recommended condition, so iono i think you know what to do in order to get your trap flourish normally where you are. im saying this cos i seriously dont see why a stalk would need so different stuff from your average trap, i mean, you gotta get it to make small traps, but i suppose that as long as you keep the conditions near to the conditions that it flourishes, i dont see why it wouldnt work since it is a tested method.

from what i saw from the articles around, it could take more than a month to see a trap, so i seriously dont know if im even doing this right :pPPP time will tell depending on how this one will work out.

ROOOOOOOOOOFL @ the bowls
By kevinqwe
great job and good luck steve, you should cut the stalk into another half! you can get 2 plants. try it.

hey jimbob,
your stalks should be like 4-5" your can cut it into pieces bigger than 1"
stalks dont need to be sterile you can just plant it directly.
the medium you can use is all CP mixes
you can top water i guess but you shoud bottom though.

good luck to you both!! :D
By Steve_M
i thought about cutting the stalk, but im afraid of less success chances possibly, and i seriously cant be arsed to take care of a 4th trap atm, i dont even know how these two will work out, and even if this 3rd one with the flower stak is gonna work.

for some reason, the soil gets very easily dry and i need to water it tons, and for some reason the flower has started to bend as if its gonna rot or something and its only been 2-3 days.
i dont know, for some reason it seems that this wasnt a proper season to try it, its boiling hot summer here. im even worried about repotting my already grown traps because its summer :////
By Matt
I simply cut off the flower stalk when I get around to it, but it's usually between 2 and 5 inches. Then I cut it into 1 inch segments and stick it in the soil next to the parent plant or in a new pot with a standard CP mix.

I think one important part is to give it plenty of light. I usually see plantlets forming in about 4 to 6 weeks.
By Steve_M
i dunno if this is normal, imo it is but i cant be certain im generally a plant amateur.

i did plant the stalk in the upright position as recommended etc, now its been 2-3 days and the stalk is bent the same way a tree thats been blown on by strong wind would be like, its like its trying to lay down on the soil or something.
also, i dunno if its the heat or something, but my actual traps as well as the flower stalk seems to be presenting a small yellow tint something i consider probably a problem iono.
By jimbob999
Cheers for the info guys, my stalk is only a few centimetres atm so im gona have to wait a few weeks before i cut it.

From my understanding u say you can cut the stalk more then once and each piece will grow traps? (like a bit of the stalk that is only stem?)

Cant wait to get this going and trying it out :D
By kevinqwe
yep.. make sure they arent too small
you can plant them together .
Steve you should still cut it in half and plant them together. it is just like caring for one!!!
By Steve_M
wouldnt it lessen my chances of it working now that the flower stalk has started to get roots? i tried a mild pull and it seems stuck in place so i think one trap is gonna work.
if i cut the top part of the stalk there aint any issues?
By kevinqwe
well, i might only affect the top part that you cut off. but dont do it
By Matt
Yep, the top will turn black and the base will start growing little plants. Your stalk might be a bit too long. I usually only use the top 1" to 1.5" of the stalk and cut the rest of the stalk into 1" segments. It will be interesting to see if it strikes like that.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!