FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sipecsus
this is my first full spring with my plants, i let three of my fly traps flower and there pretty big now and they look like they are about to open??? ive been reading how i should manually pollinate with a fine paint brush within 24 hours? or could i just leave them alone and leave it up 2 nature??? will they both guarantee me seeds??? and my pinguicula premiflora is also developing a flower, will this also produce seeds like the venus fly trap???? any advice is appreciated???
By Matt
If your plants are outside, you can most likely just let them pollinate naturally. If you want to ensure pollination, you can do it yourself with a paintbrush, toothpick or tweezers.

I don't own any pings, so I'm not sure what their reproduction process is, but I think almost any time a plant produces flowers, it's for seed production.
By hackerberry
Hello sipecsus,

Manually pollinating VFT flowers will give you good success rate with seeds. With Pings, you need to manually pollinate them unless you live where their natural pollinators are too.

hb
By sipecsus
so i live in sunny southern california, i keep my plants outside in a home made green house. i often leave small openings so bugs (food) will be able 2 enter, so im thinking ill just let nature do its work, these are my first flower stalks and i dont want 2 mess it up in any way!
By sipecsus
My plants produced more than one flower stalk each, so I cut a couple and stuck them next to the plants. It's been like three weeks now and I notice little flytraps forming out of the base of the flower stalk , should I snip the flower stalk since it's already growing from the base of it, the stalk is prettymuch black nd dead dead anyways.
By Matt
sipecsus wrote:My plants produced more than one flower stalk each, so I cut a couple and stuck them next to the plants. It's been like three weeks now and I notice little flytraps forming out of the base of the flower stalk , should I snip the flower stalk since it's already growing from the base of it, the stalk is prettymuch black nd dead dead anyways.
I always just leave it as it is, but I don't think it would hurt it to snip it. It's just a piece of dead plant tissue at this point, right?
By sipecsus
Yeah the base of it is green but the actual flower stalk is black nd withered
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!