FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By victor
Okay this is my first time posting something in this subject.
But how do you fertilize a mexican ping and a nepenthes.
Also, those that live in the U.S. what brands do you guys use?
By Eric
I use Maxsea 16-16-16 fertilizer. It works great! Just mix one teaspoon with a gallon of water and apply it directly to the soil. You can use it on any carnivorous plant, just not the queensland sundews.
By HarrisAz
isnt the Maxsea bad for soil spraying?

i read there that theres urea in the fert.is it still ok?
By Matt
HarrisAz wrote:isnt the Maxsea bad for soil spraying?
I use it on my Sarracenia, Heliamphora and Cephalotus and they respond very well to it. I've not tried it on flytraps or any other species. But it does cause severe algae blooms.
HarrisAz wrote:i read there that theres urea in the fert.is it still ok?
Yes, Maxsea has urea, but it seems to be fine with the plants...at least at the concentration of 1 teaspoon per gallon.
Matt liked this
By HarrisAz
woah!!
that sounds cool!

Do you flush the media after u spray/pour onto the soil?

Victor,i've been fertilizing my nepenthes with an Orchid fertilizer(Orchid Focus Grow)which has high level of nitrogen once a month to a pitcher and it seems to grow bigger pitchers afterwards seriously :D
By victor
HarrisAz wrote:
Victor,i've been fertilizing my nepenthes with an Orchid fertilizer(Orchid Focus Grow)which has high level of nitrogen once a month to a pitcher and it seems to grow bigger pitchers afterwards seriously :D
How much per gallon of water do you put?
By victor
Also, is there any specific brand you guys use for mexican pings. Please also say how much per _______ water
you put.
By Eric
Maxsea 16-16-16 can be used on any carnivorous plant except for the queensland sundews. Yes that means you can use it on mexican pings. ;) http://www.californiacarnivores.com/max ... lizer.aspx
Eric liked this
By victor
Do you think I ca buy it in Lowesor Home Depot?
By Eric
Probably not, this plant food is used primarily for orchids and other plants. Try looking for it at specialty orchid nurseries.
By Myarocks
I cant get MaxSea up in Canada here so i use Better-gro Orchid Plus 24 14 13 I think or is it 20-14-13? (there is no other numbers so if you get that one its the same pack im using) Anyway it has no urea and 1/4tsp per gallon distilled water, but start off using 1/8th tsp per gallon at first couple times you fertilize them, which i do on the 1st and 15th of the month directly to the soil and douce them good, then i spray the leaves off with just distilled water in a spray bottle to make sure none fertilizer get on the leaves, then i wait 2 days and flush the soil out with pure distilled water. I started this 2 months ago, I allready have new plants shooting up with pitchures forming on them on my ventrata. I was having a hard time getting my ventrata to pitchure and then suddenly these new shoots show up *2 new baby plants*, and my truncata suddenly shot out another leaf got a big pichure on it, then shot out another one with a very long arm on it and another big pitchure is forming that looks like its going to be at least double the size of the last pitchure, People who say dont fertlize tell them they are crazy not to, the plants love it and they look so healthy! I wont fertilize my pings though becuse I have them to catch the fruit flies in my house allready so they are doing good:) Hope this helps:)
By tomwatson2711
we shod have to choose fertilizers very care fully maxsea-16-16 is one of the most suitable fertilizer..

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!