FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
I'm really interested in purchasing a Walley Venus Flytrap .... So I'm surfing the web last night hoping to find one for sale and I see one being sold on Ebay from someone known as Fingers001. I placed a bid in my excitement, and only after placing the bid did I carefully read the description of the plant. The first line read as follows ....

"Hi there I have a nice Healthy Venus fly trap called "Walley". "

Is it me or does this sound a little deceptive ? So I sent a question to seller asking him if the plant is a real Walley or just a plant that he's calling Walley ? He responded that it was a real Walley grown from seed.
I then responded back that if it was grown from seed that it's not a Walley Venus Flytrap. Then I went back to Ebay and retracted my bid. A few minutes later the auction was closed.

I'm not trying to start a feud here, but this really ticked me off. If I had not asked my original question then I could have bought this plant and spent good money on a plant that was not what I wanted. I notice this seller has a whole bunch of Flytrap auctions on Ebay. B52's, Southwest Giant, Pink Venus .... You name it. All with the same confusing descriptions of the plants. I wonder how many of these are seed grown plants ?

In the meantime I'm really hoping to find a real Walley .... lol
By coline
Well, ebay is not the best place to look for cultivars, many people as him may reproduce them from seed, maybe not knowing the basics of cultivars, or only wanting to make money, but the best is to get the plants either from a shop, or some friend that has it in his growlist.
By happiness
Yeah. You really have to watch out for anything you buy on Ebay. Though, from what I hear, Ebay always sides with the buyer, but I guess how could you argue the fact that what you received wasn't a "walley".

I'm not sure how it would be in the case of a plant.. but I bought a really cute coat that was coming from china for $35 and right when I opened it, I knew it wasn't the same as the picture. (It was a knock off) Funny thing is, the seller had a stock photo with a website on the corner of the picture, I went to the website and found the same coat selling for $250. Eventually, ebay gave me a full refund and I kept the coat... not that I'd ever wear the ugly thing. (I've had it for over 2 years now and never touched it! )

Good thing you asked him though. What a mess that would have been.
By coline
Also, careful with those really nice pictures and cheap prices, the only thing I have had to argue with was a curved scissors, which I use to cut drosera leaves and scapes, tiny stuff, and the scissors had a picture of a really neat one. What came was a normal stainless scissor with a handmade "curved" section that was bored into with some sharpening stone!
Other than that everything has gone good.
By happiness
.. I just realized I have his Venus flytraps on my watch list.. now I'm thinking ... are these VFT's even what they claim to be..? Some have the same characteristics as the name such as the sharks teeth or Sawtooth but who knows..
By Sander
DTDream18 wrote: Is it me or does this sound a little deceptive ? So I sent a question to seller asking him if the plant is a real Walley or just a plant that he's calling Walley ? He responded that it was a real Walley grown from seed.
So, no its not a "walley" since it was grown from seed -best case it is a walley x walley, but it was not vegitatively propagated so it should be classified as a typical- if thats some typical that i dont know :P

As for ebay buying, i only buy from people with a good rating, im selling some stuff on ebay as well to get a seller rating for future sales, but there are a lot of bogus sellers.
By Dionae
I've always had good experiences from ebay for the most part. Only had to make a claim on a seller once over some jeans but nothing ever plant related. You definitely should pay attention to their ratings and descriptions and willingness to answer questions.

Its also hard to be an ebay seller and keep that %100 rating. People complain about everything and it makes me have a lot more respect for people who sell plants for a living. Most people are fine to deal with but there are a few you could trade them a million dollars for one and theyd complain it was in 20s and not 100s lol.
By happiness
That guy selling "seed grown" has a 100% good rating..

.. I've never sent bad feedback before, even if it was well deserved.. I bought $15 in soil a few months ago and after a week the person put shipped.. I waited another week and the tracking # showed no progress in the shipping, I sent the person a message and they said they had been hospitalized and the person they had shipping the items must not have shipped them and that they were sorry .. a couple days went by, and I waited again.. I asked and the person said that their significant other shipped it out the night before.. In the end it took 19 days to get soil that I was wanting quickly, instead of having to go to the store.. I wanted to put negative feedback.. but I decided not to. I saw about 4-6 months previous to my purchase, someone posted negative feedback saying it also took nearly a month to get their item and the seller replied that they were having medical issues... so this wasn't the first time for them.. They even told me they'd throw in a item the next time I purchase something from them.. bribing almost..

I recently bought a shirt described as new with tags, and received it without tags, some weird mark near the armpit and a small hole in the side o_o.. I lost $2 to ship it back but still didn't give negative feedback. Maybe I'm too nice!!

(Sorry if I'm getting a little off topic!! I should post a ebay ranting thread haha :geek: )

.. So anyways. I feel like .. sometimes people won't give negative feedback (like me) but I guess other times people will... OR people don't know the plant their buying is a walley x walley .. not an actual walley.

x_x
By DTDream18
That guy selling "seed grown" has a 100% good rating
Maybe I'm the first one to actually question if the plants he's selling are the real cultivars. I could easily send someone a small typical flytrap and tell them it's "called B52." I'm very suspicious of the way this guy words his flytrap descriptions. I think he knows exactly what he's doing. I can "call" all of my seed grown traps B52. It doesn't mean that they're B52's.
Last edited by DTDream18 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By mnwatson1
My guess is it's someone who really doesn't know what they're doing and honestly believes getting/growing seeds from the parent plants will give him more of that cultivar. He may honestly be ignorant of what he's doing.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4
By DTDream18
This is very weird. I'm curious as to why they cancelled their Wally auction as soon as I wrote them and explained that a seed grown plant is not a cultivar. Now it's back up for sale as a Wally.

Whoever this seller is, they've got a lot of different cultivars up for auction and 100% positive rating on Ebay. And from the photos of the plants, they certainly resemble what the cultivar is supposed to look like. With the exception of the B52 that they're auctioning.

Anyway I won't be buying any plants from them. I really want a Wally, and I was prepared to bid pretty high for the small plant. But at this point I have no idea what this "plant called Wally" really is. I've got a nice big seed grown plant growing in my collection. Maybe I'll auction it on Ebay and say that it's a "plant called DCXL" .... Only kidding of course.

I'm waiting for my Gremlin to be delivered this week from California Carnivores. The Ginormous that they sent me about two weeks ago is growing like a weed out in my garden. New traps popping up all over the place. So I decided to try the Gremlin next.
By Dionae
DTDream18 wrote:
Maybe I'm the first one to actually question if the plants he's selling are the real cultivars. I could easily send someone a small typical flytrap and tell them it's "called B52." I'm very suspicious of the way this guy words his flytrap descriptions. I think he knows exactly what he's doing. I can "call" all of my seed grown traps B52. It doesn't mean that they're B52's.
I agree and if he told you it was seed grown then it definitely isnt what he's saying it is. Its best not to buy small plants unless theyre showing some of the mature traits. You could be buying anything :| .
By happiness
Dionae wrote:
DTDream18 wrote:
I agree and if he told you it was seed grown then it definitely isnt what he's saying it is. Its best not to buy small plants unless theyre showing some of the mature traits. You could be buying anything :| .
Isn't it possible for the seed grown to actually have the same traits as the mother plant? Or would some of the traps have a typical look to them?

His "yellow" VFT's aren't even yellow.. PFFT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carnivorous-Pla ... 7675.l2557

.. Sucks that theres a big question mark on the many different cultivars hes selling.. a lot of them went for super cheap too.. but I figure there's a reason for it.. If only there was an easy to tell that what you were buying was exactly what it is described as.. x_x
By happiness
UPDATE.

He's lying. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

.. I sent him a message asking if the walley he's currently selling came from the mother plant. He replied.. "Yes this was a picking from the mother plant the only one and I do have some that are started by seeds."

... and he told DTdream , that the one in the old listing was a seed grown.. well take a look at these pictures.. IT'S THE EXACT SAME VENUS FLYTRAP! JUST ONE HAS AN ORANGE CAP UNDER IT!!

new listing he claims to be a walley from a mother plant
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carnivorous-Pla ... 19e08fc24a

Walley he claimed was seed grown
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carnivorous-Pla ... 7675.l2557

...why would he have change the picture of the same VFT :roll:

Case closed. :geek:
Attachments:
SAME 2.JPG
SAME 2.JPG (195.52 KiB) Viewed 4401 times
SAME.JPG
SAME.JPG (255.68 KiB) Viewed 4401 times
Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!