FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By victor
Very nice!

Ummm why are some of the plants covered in a clear plastic bag?
By jht-union
That's because matt suggested that the plants had to be covered to retain more humidity(and that's what he do with all his TC plants), when they're in tissue culture, they have really high humidity because of the liquids, gel...etc, when is ready to take out, and you want to have them in invivo(isn't that how is called), they need sometime to adapt, so the bags are to retain more humidity so the plant doesn't died instantly, this also keeps other germs, air out that might kill the plant while it opens its stomata(i think when they're in tissue, it closes because there's no air going in to the plant, so the guard cells closes, and doesn't allowed any particle)(not sure if this right or wrong), once a week passed, they're ready to be open a little to start acclimatizing the plant to lower humidity, then another week, then they're ready to be out and treated like any other plant, so in 2 weeks they will be treated like any other plant i have, and slowly i will introduce it to direct sunlight.
Matt said they don't need light at this stage, they could died from it, since they're not used to, he said is not necessary at the moment, but it will be in 2 more weeks! :)

Hope it makes sense :)
jht-union liked this
By Matt
jht-union wrote:Matt said they don't need light at this stage, they could died from it, since they're not used to, he said is not necessary at the moment, but it will be in 2 more weeks! :)
If I said that, I misspoke (or mistyped :)). What I meant is that they can die from direct, unfiltered sunlight. But they should be receiving some light right now. Full light under fluorescent or LED lighting is fine. Light filtered through a shade cloth or polycarbonate greenhouse panels or even through a window is probably fine too. But they should not be stuck outside in full sunlight for quite a while.
By jht-union
Matt wrote:If I said that, I misspoke (or mistyped ). What I meant is that they can die from direct, unfiltered sunlight. But they should be receiving some light right now. Full light under fluorescent or LED lighting is fine. Light filtered through a shade cloth or polycarbonate greenhouse panels or even through a window is probably fine too. But they should not be stuck outside in full sunlight for quite a while.
:oops: :oops: I'm the one with the mistake, i didn't write it correctly, what i meant to say is that light is not necessary such as light from the sun,because this can lead the death of the plant, and it can create an oven since they have to be cover, but yes, i have them under lights, and with the new terrarium it should be a good place to place them for higher humidity(on sunday, if i get to put the about 83 small pots in there). :) , sorry for the confusion, and the bad explanation :oops: :oops:
jht-union liked this
By victor
OKay thanks you two! I didn't know it was tissue culture.
By victor
Awesome! Hope they do amazing in the summer..

Oh gee I have another question. Sorry for stinkin […]

Order received. Your order number is 1649. I'll PM[…]

Chaser, I like that. Order received. Your order n[…]

Finally

Thanks, it is called a Drosera Intermedia. The var[…]

+1 for Lee's. The only catch is that he only wor[…]

Rain

I agree, Mike. The pools catch pretty good even w[…]

Thank you for donating them!

Sundew in forest

Moving amphibians around is a very bad idea. That'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!