FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By dadathor
Hey everyone, I have some drosera intermedia and drosera nitidula x pulchella seeds. I was going to soak them in gibberellic acid for a few days and then let them germinate in water. Has anyone else tried this? If so what ppm did you used? I was going to go with a 500ppm solution. would that be high or low? I have also read that rubbing alcohol is used to help dissolve the acid into the water. Would the alcohol hurt the seeds, or should I let the mix sit overnight and dissolve that way? Any advice will be appreciated, thanks all.
By entropy81
I have some GA3 (gibberellic acid powder) but I've never used it yet.

The alchohol is used because the GA3 is a powder, and the powder does not dissolve in water (or at least not well - that's my understanding). In order to make the GA3 liquid, you put the powder in a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol to dissolve it, and then you have liquid GA3 which you can put into water.

The amount of alcohol used is very very small, just enough to dissolve the GA3 powder. And we are talking very, very small amounts of powder. Not a lot. So not much alcohol is needed, maybe something like a drop or two of alcohol only. As little as needed to make the GA3 liquid. This will then treat a lot more water - you have to do the math to figure out how much but something like a drop of alcohol/GA3 solution going into a gallon of water. So the amount of alcohol should be really very tiny and should be irrelevant.
By dadathor
Hey all I have decided to try different ppm's of ga3 and see which one works better, but I can't seem to get the acid to dissolve properly. I have used both 70 and 91 percent alcohol, and just leaving it overnight in water (actually has been over 48 hours now) even heating up the water and acid, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated, Thanks.
By dadathor
It finally dissolved. Took more alcohol than I thought. I have 250, 200, 150, and 100 ppm solutions. I'll let 5 seeds soak in each for 24 hours sow them and see what happens. I'll post the results for future reference. Thanks for the help.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!