FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Trapper Kay
Just wanted to share some photos of my Drosera capensis “Big Pink”

Hoping to have divisions by next season and possibly some future giveaways :)
Attachments:
9991CFEA-435B-4EC8-B8B9-7AD6167A353F.jpeg
9991CFEA-435B-4EC8-B8B9-7AD6167A353F.jpeg (648.42 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
FEFAE795-0B8A-42E3-A2BF-27BF3B83693A.jpeg
FEFAE795-0B8A-42E3-A2BF-27BF3B83693A.jpeg (486.76 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
525BDCC5-4F8E-4D5F-92CE-BF3112BDAF45.jpeg
525BDCC5-4F8E-4D5F-92CE-BF3112BDAF45.jpeg (517.46 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
Trapper Kay liked this
By boarderlib
"Big Pink" is my favorite capensis! Good job with it so far. You got the pink part, now to get the big part

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Trapper Kay
boarderlib wrote:"Big Pink" is my favorite capensis! Good job with it so far. You got the pink part, now to get the big partImage

This was a leaf cutting I won on this forum around September 2018 :)
The pink is there.... and... well.. she's not so big right now but way bigger than any of the seed grown typicals (sowed months before her). So we are on are way. I'm also trying to feed her a bit more like once every 2 weeks. (im hopeful this helps, but any suggestions are greatly appreciated)
:)
By boarderlib
Great job! As for tips, I grow outside spring, summer, and fall so pretty much every leaf is fed constantly. Makes for really ugly pictures during that time frame but the plants certainly don't complain. You could probably increase the feeding a little. Feed a couple leaves at a time. That should boost the growth a little quicker.

boarderlib liked this
By Trapper Kay
Thanks! Ya I wasn’t sure when to start acclimating it to the outdoors to be with my vfts. I wanted to start getting it acclimated when it is a little bigger (I tried before with smaller capensis typicals and they totally burned— so now I’m a nervous momma lol)
I’ll feed it more like you said and wait a few more months till it starts to cool off and then it should acclimate easier (hopefully).
By CarnivoresUnite
Nice! Looking happy and healthy is always a good sign.. It's good to know that the cuttings grow at a faster rate, and not surprising with these little guys. I'm sure by next year they'll be doing even better!

And did I see that you got some Hercules seeds? *Making notes..

LOL
By Secretariat73
Lovely plant! You've done a nice job!

If you can, try giving it some more light. Big Pink's stems are capable of coloring up nicely as well. Here's what mine looked like after about only 24 hours of morning sun exposure earlier this spring.
IMG_7157.JPG
IMG_7157.JPG (2.89 MiB) Viewed 4246 times
For me, the sun begins to fry Big Pink's leaves once my outdoor temps hit 90F... a lesson I repeatedly have to relearn every spring.
By Trapper Kay
CarnivoresUnite wrote:Nice! Looking happy and healthy is always a good sign.. It's good to know that the cuttings grow at a faster rate, and not surprising with these little guys. I'm sure by next year they'll be doing even better!

And did I see that you got some Hercules seeds? *Making notes..

LOL
Lol :) hell ya, I figure why not. I do have like 5 varieties of capensis. Why not add more (as I check my bank account) lol
By Trapper Kay
Secretariat73 wrote:Lovely plant! You've done a nice job!

If you can, try giving it some more light. Big Pink's stems are capable of coloring up nicely as well. Here's what mine looked like after about only 24 hours of morning sun exposure earlier this spring.
IMG_7157.JPG
For me, the sun begins to fry Big Pink's leaves once my outdoor temps hit 90F... a lesson I repeatedly have to relearn every spring.
Those are gorgeous plants! It seems I will have to do that!
I’ll be putting the big pink out in a few months while temperatures are cooler but still warm. I also recently reported this plant, started to look a little pale and it was in a very small plastic dipping cup so it’s bouncing back still (totally a little neglect on my part)
By boarderlib
I've acclimated seedlings that were no more than a few months old to outdoors with no ill effects. I've noticed young plants are much more adaptable much quicker than older established plants. See the pic I've attached of some seedlings that are growing outdoors. Depending on your specific climate the way they go out may vary.

My established plants have tolerated down to 28° and over 100° with no signs of stress, though generally we have a pretty humid climate especially once it hits 90+. Mine also get very little morning sun, but after 11 get blazed until sunset.

"Big Pink's" coloring will vary some with the season if you treat it as a temperate as opposed to a tropical. So the spring leaves are actually much greener than the fall leaves. Treated as a tropical with the same conditions year round it will retain more of the burgundy coloring. Image

By Trapper Kay
boarderlib wrote:I've acclimated seedlings that were no more than a few months old to outdoors with no ill effects. I've noticed young plants are much more adaptable much quicker than older established plants. See the pic I've attached of some seedlings that are growing outdoors. Depending on your specific climate the way they go out may vary.

My established plants have tolerated down to 28° and over 100° with no signs of stress, though generally we have a pretty humid climate especially once it hits 90+. Mine also get very little morning sun, but after 11 get blazed until sunset.

"Big Pink's" coloring will vary some with the season if you treat it as a temperate as opposed to a tropical. So the spring leaves are actually much greener than the fall leaves. Treated as a tropical with the same conditions year round it will retain more of the burgundy coloring. Image

Those really do look amazing, I love the color on them!
I would totally have thrown all my seedlings out in the elements, but our weather won't allow it. I did some experimenting with some of the other seedlings and put them outside with my flytraps, but they dried up and died within 2 days (while sitting in a tray with distilled water). The problem out here is it gets so hot and humidity is very very very low. Also, where I have my carnivorous plants outside in the back, there is no shade, so they get sun from the time it comes up (about 5:30am) till it goes down (about 7:30pm).
By boarderlib
That definitely makes it hard. I firmly believe that shade is your friend in a hot, dry climate. You could always experiment with some shade cloth, just experiment with the plants you're not attached to. As a beginner though I understand they're all precious, but maybe you could pick one that's a little less precious. Or you could get another leaf pull going and then experiment with it next summer.

Secretariat (I hope I spelled that correctly) I believe is from a similar climate and could be invaluable to helping you along the way.

By Trapper Kay
boarderlib wrote:That definitely makes it hard. I firmly believe that shade is your friend in a hot, dry climate. You could always experiment with some shade cloth, just experiment with the plants you're not attached to. As a beginner though I understand they're all precious, but maybe you could pick one that's a little less precious. Or you could get another leaf pull going and then experiment with it next summer.

Secretariat (I hope I spelled that correctly) I believe is from a similar climate and could be invaluable to helping you along the way.

True I can sacrifice another or two in order to find out what works. I’m looking into getting some shade cloths but not sure where to put it. Need to get a rack for outside since my collection was small and is getting bigger a lot faster than anticipated lol. Right now I have 10 regia seedlings inside along with 3 bigger seedlings and 5 capensis varieties and other sundews. The ones I have outside are on our bass boat :D lol
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!