FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By bean_plant
After realizing the gnats in my plant were fungus gnats I changed the moss to get rid of the pesky things. Once I changed it my vft seemed to be doing fine but a few days later all her traps are hanging over the side. I used pure sphagnum moss and I usually water with distilled water but because I'm new to this I forgot and accidentally watered with tap water, is that the issue or is something else going on?
Attachments:
^2CD5A5F7CDF4C777FED5EEC43851549B731EACBF2E98643AB6^pimgpsh_thumbnail_win_distr.jpg
^2CD5A5F7CDF4C777FED5EEC43851549B731EACBF2E98643AB6^pimgpsh_thumbnail_win_distr.jpg (7.49 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
^14C93D3E4BF9719EF18607BCD5A9866E96453D7CAE82EECA33^pimgpsh_thumbnail_win_distr.jpg
^14C93D3E4BF9719EF18607BCD5A9866E96453D7CAE82EECA33^pimgpsh_thumbnail_win_distr.jpg (6.95 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
^4E7B42EB02F9A21C65B3197B2D1016609CB2FAE650B03B05B8^pimgpsh_thumbnail_win_distr.jpg
^4E7B42EB02F9A21C65B3197B2D1016609CB2FAE650B03B05B8^pimgpsh_thumbnail_win_distr.jpg (8.54 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
By Fieldofscreams
Fungus knats are harmless, you caused more stress to the plant by repotting it than the knats ever would, to make matters worse you will end up with fungus knats again anyways.

One of two things could be happening, you repotted it and are growing it in a window stressed it out OR its going dormant.

These plants need to be outside.
By bean_plant
Fieldofscreams wrote:Fungus knats are harmless, you caused more stress to the plant by repotting it than the knats ever would, to make matters worse you will end up with fungus knats again anyways.

One of two things could be happening, you repotted it and are growing it in a window stressed it out OR its going dormant.

These plants need to be outside.
will it eventually destress over time? If so how long will it take? I only repotted it because I read that the larvae feed on the roots but after reading more on it most people believe they don't. If it is going dormant do you know how long the dormancy lasts and is caring for it during dormancy different then how you would normally take care of it?
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
It might have not been watered enough. They don't need to be soaking, but when you repotted and watered the soil near the plants roots might not have gotten enough water. Usually when they start to wilt it's a sign of dehydration.

I agree with that plant being outside.
By bean_plant
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:It might have not been watered enough. They don't need to be soaking, but when you repotted and watered the soil near the plants roots might not have gotten enough water. Usually when they start to wilt it's a sign of dehydration.

I agree with that plant being outside.
I think you were right about not giving it enough water, once I poured just a little more she started perking up. I know that growing it outside is ideal but because of where I live indoors is the best option.
By Fieldofscreams
Why is growing it inside the best option?
By bean_plant
Fieldofscreams wrote:Why is growing it inside the best option?
Because I live with my parents and they won't let me grow it outside.
By Fieldofscreams
I find that hard to believe.

What are their reasons? Why would they have a problem with a tiny little pot being outside?
By bean_plant
Fieldofscreams wrote:I find that hard to believe.

What are their reasons? Why would they have a problem with a tiny little pot being outside?
Because they don't want the dogs to mess with it and I don't really want that either.
By ChefDean

What does it matter the reasons? It's not your plant. You're not feeding it, financing it, or f#&^ing it, so your opinion of his husbandry is out of line.
He asked for help with possible solutions for his specific issue, not your holier-than-thou criticism. If you're unable to reply without condescension, offering help rather than derision, perhaps you should keep your opinion to yourself.
Chef
ChefDean, ChefDean liked this
By Fieldofscreams
What you don't understand is that trying to help someone grow these inside is ultimately a futile exercise.

Dogs getting to them is a copout, its an excuse to grow them the way you want instead of the way millions of years of evolution decided was best. What dog is ever going to care about a plant that is up on a table or bench......seriously.

And at least I'm trying to help him with the facts, what have you done to help him be successful?
By ChefDean
Fieldofscreams wrote:And at least I'm trying to help him with the facts, what have you done to help him be successful?
Really? Let's examine this closer.
Fieldofscreams wrote:Fungus knats are harmless, you caused more stress to the plant by repotting it than the knats ever would, to make matters worse you will end up with fungus knats again anyways.
First, it's spelled gnats. Second, it's documented that they do indeed munch on the root hairs. Therefore, not harmless. And treated properly, you may not end up with gnats again anyway.
Condescending opinion.
Fieldofscreams wrote:These plants need to be outside.
Again, opinion. There are many people, even in this forum alone, that successfully grow thriving VFT's indoors. Granted artificial lighting is used, but indoors nonetheless.
Fieldofscreams wrote:Start your research here: https://www.flytrapcare.com/
Probably the ONLY helpful thing you posted.
Fieldofscreams wrote:Why is growing it inside the best option?
More condescension. The why doesn't matter. He has to obey the rules and wishes of his parents.

More condescension towards him and criticism of his parents as well.
The reasons don't matter, he just has to abide by his parents wishes.
Fieldofscreams wrote:What you don't understand is that trying to help someone grow these inside is ultimately a futile exercise.
More opinion, and wrong as well. Many people successfully grow thriving VFT's indoors.
Fieldofscreams wrote:Dogs getting to them is a copout,...
More opinion. Maybe they have a very curious dog, and they know that the dog will likely harm or kill the plant. A plant that means a lot to their kid, so are helping to protect the plant.
Fieldofscreams wrote:What dog is ever going to care about a plant that is up on a table or bench......seriously.
Just plain ignorance.
Most dogs will become curious about something that their owners take a daily interest in. Sometimes to the point of destroying that thing.
Fieldofscreams wrote:And at least I'm trying to help him with the facts, what have you done to help him be successful?
You're not trying to help with facts. You're putting forth your opinion, then belittling him for not doing things the way you think are best.
I was going to suggest more water as they do simply look dehydrated in the pics, but SphagnumFromHell actually offered genuine help by suggesting it before I could. But I've likely helped him out more by not being critical or thinking I know best.
This isn't the first of your replies I've seen that belittle and condescend because someone does things differently than you, you've even done it to me. Maybe you just need to give helping advice for a change and keep your ignorant opinions to yourself.
Chef
ChefDean, ChefDean, ChefDean and 2 others liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
1.That plant needs lots more water.
2. How many times did you water with tap water?
3. How long have you had this plant?
4. Sunlight through a window is not going to be enough light for that plant. You will either need to get a light to put over the plant or find a way to grow it outside. Contrary to what some people say, flytraps can be successfully grown indoors under lights. I grow them inside. And everyone that sees them tells me they look amazing.
5. Now is the time that flytraps start to go dormant if you live in the northern hemisphere. The long, tall leaves will start to die back and the plant will grow short, flat leaves. It is difficult to achieve a successful dormancy inside at normal household temperatures. They need lower temps along with a shorter photo period to go into full dormancy. You need to figure out how you will achieve that. Some people put them in the fridge for winter. Search ‘fridge dormancy’ on this site and you will find how to do that.
6. Fungus gnats can and will damage plants roots. It has happened to me on more than one occasion. You can use mosquito bits/dunks and it will kill the fungus gnats. It is sold at places like Home Depot and Lowe’s. Crush up a little into your water and water the plant with it. It is a bacteria that will kill all the larva in the soil. It will take a week or two for the adults to die but you won’t have anymore hatch from them on.

@Fieldofscreams: You need to chill out. Like Chef said, if you don’t have something constructive or helpful to say you should keep your opinions to yourself. You have given quite a lot of incorrect information in this thread alone. And I see you giving incorrect info all the time in other posts. Frankly my feelings wouldn’t be hurt in the least if you left this forum and never visited again. In fact that’s what I think you need to do. If I was a moderator you would have been banned a long time ago. So if you insist on being a member of this forum I suggest you tone down the BS and be helpful and not be such an Ahole to everyone. This is a great community of many very helpful and very knowledgeable members and a few jacka$$es like yourself. I sure wish I could boot the ones like you out of here. We don’t need or want your kind here.
By bean_plant
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:1.That plant needs lots more water.
2. How many times did you water with tap water?
3. How long have you had this plant?
4. Sunlight through a window is not going to be enough light for that plant. You will either need to get a light to put over the plant or find a way to grow it outside. Contrary to what some people say, flytraps can be successfully grown indoors under lights. I grow them inside. And everyone that sees them tells me they look amazing.
5. Now is the time that flytraps start to go dormant if you live in the northern hemisphere. The long, tall leaves will start to die back and the plant will grow short, flat leaves. It is difficult to achieve a successful dormancy inside at normal household temperatures. They need lower temps along with a shorter photo period to go into full dormancy. You need to figure out how you will achieve that. Some people put them in the fridge for winter. Search ‘fridge dormancy’ on this site and you will find how to do that.
6. Fungus gnats can and will damage plants roots. It has happened to me on more than one occasion. You can use mosquito bits/dunks and it will kill the fungus gnats. It is sold at places like Home Depot and Lowe’s. Crush up a little into your water and water the plant with it. It is a bacteria that will kill all the larva in the soil. It will take a week or two for the adults to die but you won’t have anymore hatch from them on.

@Fieldofscreams: You need to chill out. Like Chef said, if you don’t have something constructive or helpful to say you should keep your opinions to yourself. You have given quite a lot of incorrect information in this thread alone. And I see you giving incorrect info all the time in other posts. Frankly my feelings wouldn’t be hurt in the least if you left this forum and never visited again. In fact that’s what I think you need to do. If I was a moderator you would have been banned a long time ago. So if you insist on being a member of this forum I suggest you tone down the BS and be helpful and not be such an Ahole to everyone. This is a great community of many very helpful and very knowledgeable members and a few jacka$$es like yourself. I sure wish I could boot the ones like you out of here. We don’t need or want your kind here.
2. I've had my plant for about three and a half months
3. I only watered it with tap water once while I was repotting.
4. What kind of light would be best for indoor growing?
5. Fridge dormancy is probably the best option, my house is only cold in the morning so I will definitely look into that.
6. Thank you so much for clarifying about the fungus gnats I didn't know if there was anything safe to use that would kill the pests next time I see them I'll head to home depot.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!