FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By blams
Judith hindle and vft.

Are these ok to keep here until the spring ?

Should I not be putting any water in the top at all? Each pot only has a single hole in the bottom

This is my first time trying to keep them through the winter. Will they appear dead?
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
By Panman
Is that first pot unglazed? That will cause problems long term. The same with the second pot. Of the unglazed portion is in contact with water it can leach chemicals into the soil.

As for water, just reduce the amount in the tray to 1/2 an inch or so. Just enough to keep the soil surface damp. Is that a heated space? What kind of temperatures will they be getting?
By blams
Panman wrote:Is that first pot unglazed? That will cause problems long term. The same with the second pot. Of the unglazed portion is in contact with water it can leach chemicals into the soil.

As for water, just reduce the amount in the tray to 1/2 an inch or so. Just enough to keep the soil surface damp. Is that a heated space? What kind of temperatures will they be getting?
Its in my house in the basement so generally 65-70 degrees I'd guess on average

The vft pot is glazed i believe, the pitcher plant pot is not glazed

By Panman
You will want to repot the pitcher. The unglazed pot will cause damage in the long run. I think that light levels are as important as temperature for dormancy, but I am not sure. Is there any place that you get it into an unheated area? Garage, shed?
By blams
Panman wrote:You will want to repot the pitcher. The unglazed pot will cause damage in the long run. I think that light levels are as important as temperature for dormancy, but I am not sure. Is there any place that you get it into an unheated area? Garage, shed?
Its plenty light where they are so that's good.

Unheated...we have a garage and sunroom. However they'll get down to crazy cold in the winter...

By Shadowtski
I'm in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in zone 5B.
I leave my flytraps and Sarracenia outdoors until the first frost.
That way, I'm sure they've entered dormancy.
I put them on the floor in my my cold semi-heated basement under lights for the Winter.
I water them sparingly, 1/4 inch in the tray, letting it dry out before watering again.
They go back outside in May - June.
It's working for me.
Every year the plants get bigger.

Good growing,
Mike
MikeB liked this
By sanguinearocks101
blams wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:50 am
Panman wrote:You will want to repot the pitcher. The unglazed pot will cause damage in the long run. I think that light levels are as important as temperature for dormancy, but I am not sure. Is there any place that you get it into an unheated area? Garage, shed?

Unheated...we have a garage and sunroom. However they'll get down to crazy cold in the winter...

They’ll probably be just fine as long as they don’t freeze and unfreeze over and over again. Do you have an estimate of how cold it can get in the areas.
By blams
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
blams wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:50 am

They’ll probably be just fine as long as they don’t freeze and unfreeze over and over again. Do you have an estimate of how cold it can get in the areas.
Shadowtski wrote:I'm in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in zone 5B.
I leave my flytraps and Sarracenia outdoors until the first frost.
That way, I'm sure they've entered dormancy.
I put them on the floor in my my cold semi-heated basement under lights for the Winter.
I water them sparingly, 1/4 inch in the tray, letting it dry out before watering again.
They go back outside in May - June.
It's working for me.
Every year the plants get bigger.

Good growing,
Mike
Hmm, well the garage is an attached garage and the unheated sunroom is attached as well, so I'd imagine they get a little a little heat from in the house.

Im sure they'd be ok this time of year but I'm not sure how cold these rooms get later in winter.

What is the limit that I should just bring them inside ? I can get a thermometer for the rooms to keep track.

By Panman
The thing that you want to avoid is long periods of being frozen solid. A dip below freezing for a few days would be fine. If the temperatures in those spaces stay above freezing then you are fine. If they drop below freezing for a period if time, then you will need to figure out a way to bring them in and still keep them cold.
By blams
How often should I be watering them, or not at all?

By Panman
Just water them enough so that the soil stays damp. You don't want to water them too much. Drier is better but never let them completely dry out.
By blams
I'm in zone 5b. Just had an additional question. My plant is in my sunroom still. Should I be missing it and how often? Should I be watering it, how often?

By blams
Panman wrote:Just water them enough so that the soil stays damp. You don't want to water them too much. Drier is better but never let them completely dry out.
Ah, this pretty much answers my question !

By blams
Also what kind of fungicide is safe for my VFT? It smells a little mildewy because I overwatered it. Looking to get a dehumidifier to fix that issue, but would like to use a fungicide as well?

Would this fungicide also work for my Judith hindle?

Nothing died! lol Spring growth coming on strong n[…]

is this normal for a d capensis?

It's been growing for about half a year now, and i[…]

Thank you!

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

Can any of you who live far away from the equator […]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi from MD!

Welcome to the forum!

Input on Neps placement

That sounds perfect. I've got to adjust my plants […]

andynorth's Grow/want list

Not the actual plant. Just a pic of what Matt has.[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!