FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Soy Sauce
How can I put my plant in the frig and keep it alive but not mess with the food in the frig or the plant. I have heard that this is possible.
By jackjeckel
I got my first VFT's late last August.

I immediately repotted them (bad) and then threw them outside immediately (bad)

When the real cold came I threw them in the fridge.

They somehow survived and one pot prospered.

Current pics to follow soon.

January 2018

By tommyr
For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3-4 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February/March I take them out hit them with sulphur based fungicide again and place in a south and west window until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for over 10 years with no losses.
tommyr liked this
By Soy Sauce
tommyr wrote:For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3-4 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February/March I take them out hit them with sulphur based fungicide again and place in a south and west window until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for over 10 years with no losses.

Thank you. This looks like it is in my budget and is very simple. Most other methods seem to cost a lot more money that I have, which isn't much. I will most definitely try this out. Thank You So Much!!! :D :D :D :D :D
By Soy Sauce
When do you think I should start this process. And is it okay if the plant undergoes a few freeze and thaws in the frig, because in certain places in my frig things freeze because of the placement of the coolant in the frig.
By tommyr
Soy Sauce wrote:When do you think I should start this process. And is it okay if the plant undergoes a few freeze and thaws in the frig, because in certain places in my frig things freeze because of the placement of the coolant in the frig.
They can take light freezes. Maybe you can up the temp a tiny bit to eliminate the freezing?
By Soy Sauce
I will do that. Is their any sulfur based fungicide products that I should perches, that you recommend.
By tommyr
Soy Sauce wrote:I will do that. Is their any sulfur based fungicide products that I should perches, that you recommend.
I use one by Bonide. Just Google "sulfur based fungicide products".
By evenwind
Personally, I don't like the idea of a serious fungicide within a couple of inches of my food, no matter how well I think I have them isolated. I much prefer to use cinnamon instead and haven't had any real problems for the last 4 years.
By Soy Sauce
Will that be as effective?

evenwind wrote:Personally, I don't like the idea of a serious fungicide within a couple of inches of my food, no matter how well I think I have them isolated. I much prefer to use cinnamon instead and haven't had any real problems for the last 4 years.

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!