FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
I've got some pots of sarracenia seedlings that I would like to put under lights 24/7. My concern is they are roughly six feet away from my main plant shelves where sundews, flytraps, and a couple of older sarrs reside. At night when it's "lights out" for the main shelves would the nearby light over the sarracenia seedlings harm the plants on the shelves? I can prevent direct line-of-sight illumination from the seedling grow light from hitting the shelves, but there would be a good bit of stray light still in the room. I don't want to hurt my older plants. Suggestions are welcomed!!! :D
By KingLouis_CLXXII
I can't find the article at the moment but I recall there was a botanical garden that was live-streaming the blooming of a Titan arum (Corpse flower) but as soon as they began the live stream, they flower stopped progressing and they figured out it was due to a light being kept on nearby for the camera equipment and as soon as they turned off that light, the flower continued to bloom. Not sure how applicable it is across genus's but just some food for thought.
By Intheswamp
Thanks for the feedback. One recent plant that has been mentioned here that does require complete darkness to reach its best potential are Thanksgiving Cactus. I believe it requires 12 hours on zero light (and cooler temperatures) to bloom the best. There's probably others.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!