FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
One note: If you turn a plastic trash can into a rain barrel, be sure to get a sturdy one like what davinstewart linked to. A gallon of water weights 8 1/3 pounds; when full, that 32-gallon can has to hold 267 pounds of water. You don't want the side to split open under the weight.
By Gary
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:27 pm I'm curious, have you ever kept a tally to see how many gallons you get from a Zerowater filter before it hits the 50ppm level?
It varies, of course, and I haven't kept an actual count. I just changed a filter last week when it hit 6ppm and started to smell a bit, and three gallons later it was at 75ppm. Other filters have given me at least a couple dozen gallons before going over 50ppm. I didn't notice a significant change in the TDS of the tap water, so I have to assume it was a somewhat dodgy filter.
By andynorth
Duh. I completely forgot we have a Zero water tank in our fridge. I tested first with the TDS meter that comes with the tank. Ironically it showed zero. I thought that was incorrect but when using my Vivosun TDS meter it too showed zero. I decided I would give it a try. Hoping it does not kill my plants!!!

Note: I used it immediately, rather than letting it set.
By Gary
I've been using Zero water for two years with Capes, VFTs and Sarrs with no issues. As I mentioned, sometimes the filters can go from "usable" to really high TDS pretty quickly. I check mine every day.
By tommyr
wcrosman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:17 am I use a zero water pitcher. No need for distilled and much cheaper. Removes chlorine and zero tds in treated water
I bought a 20 cup zero as a backup but I RARELY run out of rain water. And we've been getting HAMMERED with rain this winter and as I type we're getting hammered again.

Distilled seems more scare in my grocery as well though. And since the pandemic the price sky rocketed as well. It used to be 89 cents, now if you can fine it nearly 1.50 last I saw it months ago.
By tommyr
davinstewart wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:41 pm Or if you want to go the rainwater route just buy a plastic trash can with rounded lid like this one ...

Ace 32 gal Black Plastic Garbage Can Lid Included

Flip the lip upside down and drill a bunch of small holes in the center. Small enough that mosquitos can't get in but rain can. Then put it in the drip line of a shed or downspout and the next time it rains you'll have a bunch of clean, filtered rain water.
Yup, I use a 20 gallon plastic garbage can as a backup. I normally work out of 2-3 5 gallon buckets under my back patio drip line.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
I have Rubbermaid 32 gallon black garbage cans from Home Depot. I got the first one in June 2022 and the second one a few months later. I placed them on the north side of my garage where they have been pretty much in the shade. I added roughly 1/4 of a mosquito dunk for "insurance" when I filled the first one but it raised the TDS level up a bit more than I wanted (though still below 50ppm). That was the last time I used any dunks in them. I've kept the cans topped off and the lids securely snapped on and have had no problem with mosquitoes raising in them. I still monitor them, though, and at the first sign of larva/mosquitoes dunks *will* go in. Be sure you have a good foundation beneath or solid ground beneath them. The Rubbermaids look like they did the day I bought them and the water in them stays clear. The black color apparently does good helping to keep the algae from growing. If I had to store them in full sun I'd want to somehow cover them to keep from solar radiation destroying them, heating the water, and possibly allowing enough light through to grow algae. YMMV. ;)
tommyr liked this
By Intheswamp
tommyr wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:55 am Yup, I use a 20 gallon plastic garbage can as a backup. I normally work out of 2-3 5 gallon buckets under my back patio drip line.
Working out of the 5-gallon buckets is handy. I reach max capacity when all my milk jugs, garbage cans, and 5-gallon buckets are full. I panic when a good heavy rain is predicted and all of it is full...this past HEAVY rain we had last Friday warranted me pulling out my big red cooler...worth 12-15 gallons of water!!!! ;) It'll be worked out of and jugged up first. Then the buckets. ...when I get some free jugs. I'm just about to the point of wanting to get another garbage can...it's an addiction, I tell ya!!!! :mrgreen:
tommyr liked this
By andynorth
Once we have a downpour I tend to fill my jugs up. We normally have just a light sprinkle most times and I fear if I let it set too long it will evaporate. I Normally end up with 7 gallons or so and that last about a week. I used Zero water for the first time a couple days ago. Will have to see if it was a good choice or not.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Speaking regarding distilled water. It is used greatly with powdered baby formula so make sure to look in the "baby supplies" section of the stores. FWIW. ;)
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:10 pm Speaking regarding distilled water. It is used greatly with powdered baby formula so make sure to look in the "baby supplies" section of the stores. FWIW. ;)
Yep. That is whare it was located at Walmart. It was even marked as such but none there any longer. Starting to rain quite a bit so back to that again.

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!