FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By BobbYoung
Can I use diatomaceous Earth (DE) in my peat/perlite or other soil mixes for carnivorous plants? I use it in mixes for my other plants and works great as a pest preventative. I did search the forum about DE but didn’t get a definitive answer so I thought I’d ask. I appreciate any response. Thank you guys/gals
By optique
I have never seen a pest in my 50/50 peat perlite. What are you getting?
By BobbYoung
Every once and awhile I’ll see a fungus gnat. I use grow tents for sowing seeds, propagating and growing cps in general. I like to have as much of a controlled environment as I can. I use oscillating fans for air circulation but my tents are warm and humid so I’d like to use DE as a preventative if it doesn’t harm carnivorous plants. That’s it. Thanks
By ChefDean
The biggest flaw with DE is that it needs to be dry to work to control pests. Carnivorous plant media is, with rare exceptions, always damp if not swimming.
If you use it around your pots/trays, that would work. If you were to top dress your pots with sand, then top dress with DE, and only water from the bottom, that might work for a while.
I've always found that if I have some little flying turds bothering my plants, laying eggs in my media, the best solution is more carnivorous plants! Pinguicula and Cape sundews.
Supercazzola, MikeB liked this
By optique
A 4 inch pot with 10+ capes in it, placed near the light source should solve most gnat issues
By tommyr
If you're getting fungus gnats buy a package of "Mosquito dunks" at the garden center. It is BT. Put one quarter of one in your watering can or a small chunk in the water tray. This will kill the larvae in the soil and stop future generations. It is all natural and safe. But give it some time to work. Use sticky traps and manually kill the adults.
MikeB liked this

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!