FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By TireSlayer24
Hello to everyone on the forum. I have a VFT and it's been recovering well from the acclimatization process. Unfortunately I think I may have let the medium get a little to dry. I noticed some of the new growth from a new division dried out and a trap that was about to form wilt over a little bit. I watered it today using the tray method due to how hot it's been the last few days. I usually water it every 2 to 3 days. My question is can the VFT recover from this? I'm quite worried. I'm trying really hard to help O'Keefe(name of my VFT) grow well and be happy Here's a picture of his current state.
uploadfromtaptalk1466207464048.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1466207464048.jpg (127.56 KiB) Viewed 3281 times
Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
By pieguy452
Yes it will definitely recover, still plenty of life in that flytrap. My rule of thumb is if it dries out and there's still green after 24 hours, there's still hope :)

Also depending on your climate and the size of your pot it may be necessary to water more than every 3 days. Remember you want the soil to dry out only until it is barely moist, no more dry than that. Just make sure the soil isn't totally waterlogged. It is much better to overwater a little bit than it is to underwater a little bit. Flytraps are simply intolerant of too little water.
pieguy452 liked this
By TireSlayer24
pieguy452 wrote:Yes it will definitely recover, still plenty of life in that flytrap. My rule of thumb is if it dries out and there's still green after 24 hours, there's still hope :)

Also depending on your climate and the size of your pot it may be necessary to water more than every 3 days. Remember you want the soil to dry out only until it is barely moist, no more dry than that. Just make sure the soil isn't totally waterlogged. It is much better to overwater a little bit than it is to underwater a little bit. Flytraps are simply intolerant of too little water.
Thanks pieguy452! You just made my Friday a lot better.
It's in a 5 inch pot and because of the heat it has been drying quicker. I checked it last night and it seemed fairly moist so I held off on watering. When I checked it today I saw what you see in the pic. So from now on I'll keep it a bit on the wetter side.
Another question, will it recover quickly or take a bit of time?
Thanks again, you guys have been so helpful on this forum! I'm really glad I joined[WHITE SMILING FACE]

By pieguy452
It should start sending up new growth again within a couple of weeks. For it to recover back to the state it was once in, however, depends on the condition it was in before. It might take an entire year for it to recover back to the point it was once at before. If it wasn't much bigger before, then expect for it to take atleast a month or two.
pieguy452 liked this
By TireSlayer24
pieguy452 wrote:It should start sending up new growth again within a couple of weeks. For it to recover back to the state it was once in, however, depends on the condition it was in before. It might take an entire year for it to recover back to the point it was once at before. If it wasn't much bigger before, then expect for it to take atleast a month or two.
This is what he looked like a few days ago...
uploadfromtaptalk1466224960928.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1466224960928.jpg (81.7 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
It was much bigger when I bought it but due to acclimatization he lost most of his leaves and just recently started to come back. I bought him just over a couple months ago. A few hours after watering yesterday I did notice him perking back up so I guess only time will tell.
Thank you pieguy452! Your advice has been of great help and a very good stress reliever!

Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1466225017655.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1466225017655.jpg (81.7 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
TireSlayer24 liked this
By Kaila
I can't seem to see the rhizome, Is the VFT suppose to be planted that deep into the soil?
By TireSlayer24
Kaila wrote:I can't seem to see the rhizome, Is the VFT suppose to be planted that deep into the soil?
It's just below the surface.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!