FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By tommyr
Putting on some nice sized traps so far!

tommyr liked this
By FlyTrap Hunter
tommyr wrote:Putting on some nice sized traps so far!

Looking good. Where are you located?

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By tommyr
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:

About 65 miles north of NYC.
By FlyTrap Hunter
tommyr wrote:
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:

About 65 miles north of NYC.
Cool. I have read that people in more northern climates get bigger traps and people in southern climates get more divisions. I know my plants are dividing like mad. My DCXL is a small division but it split into 3 or 4 divisions in the last month.
The season is still young. You should end up with monster fly traps.Image

By tommyr
I've has them for a few years. Got a small one from Matt & Leah and now I have 2 adults and they are dividing as I type. Just got a Pinnacle from them too.
By Fieldofscreams
I've gotta post pics of mine soon. It's dividing out of control and each plant seems to be doubling in size every month. It's the most vigourous growing cultivar I have, it loves my climate I guess, in west Michigan.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By stevelau1911
I remember my DCXL grew just like that when I was living in the Northeast, and I believe it has mostly to do with the length of day, and intensity of the sun. They made super long traps just like yours.

Now down in Hawaii, they initially went to making summer traps, but now all of them are right back to producing winter traps right in the middle of the summer where temperatures are already usually 85F-71F.

The rate of size increase is quite impressive though.
April 14th

May 5th

June 23rd- this picture was taken from the opposite side as the one that flowered is the biggest which now has 2 growth points
stevelau1911 liked this
By stevelau1911
A month later now August 24th, the hot weather has allowed a couple of my DCXL traps to produce massive thick traps up to 1.5 inches long, still a very long stretch from the people who've reported traps breaking the 2 inch mark. They were pretty spaced out just a month ago, but with temperatures consistently hot, near 90F during the daytime, the growth rate just went up a notch. Even the smaller traps are now about the size of the big ones were at the beginning of the growing season.

By Fieldofscreams
Where did you get your dcxl's?

Reason I ask is because they don't look like DCXL.
By stevelau1911
Got them from the flytrap store on this website initially. They have looked extra thick and round ever since grown in Hawaii, but were thinner with longer teeth when they were grown in California or Virginia in the past. Tropical climate seems to change their appearance.
By Tryner78
What species Sarracenia is growing with them? I grow in northern IL and these are my typicals.
Your plants are looking great!
By SFLguy
Fieldofscreams wrote:Where did you get your dcxl's?

Reason I ask is because they don't look like DCXL.
They look exactly like my DC XL

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
By Fieldofscreams
Since you both live in tropical/semi tropical locations im betting there is a correlation.

If you look at pics of them from those of us who have this cultivar in the more northern climates they don't look like yours. Ours grow very long petioles and rarely grow anything low to the ground.
By SFLguy
Fieldofscreams wrote:Since you both live in tropical/semi tropical locations im betting there is a correlation.

If you look at pics of them from those of us who have this cultivar in the more northern climates they don't look like yours. Ours grow very long petioles and rarely grow anything low to the ground.
Could be, though a friend in tally has them and they look the same. Mine get the long petioles, just not all summer long

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
By stevelau1911
Tryner78 wrote:What species Sarracenia is growing with them? I grow in northern IL and these are my typicals.
Your plants are looking great!
They are sarracenia leuco green type. I will need to isolate them into their own pots soon because the little amount of space left is being overtaken continually be newer bigger vft traps. There are already some traps around 1.6 inches, but there’s enough time left in the season for them to get closer to 1.75.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!