FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Jds197
Kevonicus wrote: Going around selling plants named "DCXL " without clearly stating whether or not they were seed grown from a cross (not a division or a clone) is not right of course. Those that do clearly state that the plant is a seed grown from crosses, may make some money off people who don't know what a cultivated variety is, or new ppl starting out who jump into the hobby and immediately want a giant flytrap cultivar without doing all their research. So unless the seller was trying to perceive a seed grown as being an actual DCXL clone (I haven't actually looked at the sellers listing), he is doing nothing wrong. Though the confusion of having "DCXLxDCXL" plants is that those uneducated ppl buying think they have a DCXL (from a seed) and start selling that plant as a DCXL and so on. The plant business is based on a lot of trust, especially when one can sell a small plant as a high priced rare cultivar and it turn out to just be a typical when it grows out.

Besides that, I really like growing out seeds..it's fun not knowing how they might turn out. Crossing named cultivars just increases those chances of some favorable traits showing up in the offspring. Give it your own name since you may never really know :) Enjoy your plant.
The seller was in fact marketing a seed grown plant as a real DCXL, the same can be said for the alleged B52 I just bought off of him. The other cultivars he is selling look remarkably like the real deal, and I haven't asked if those were seed grown as well so I can't speak for them. I have yet to receive my plants, so I can't attest to their condition. I'll update this with my thoughts once they arrive.
By DTDream18
I was just surfing on Ebay and I noticed that Fingers001 is selling a plant Called Wally. From the photo's I'd say that the only person calling this Flytrap Wally is Fingers001 himself. I'm sure that this plant is not an actual Wally cultivar.

I have a Lowes Flytrap .... It's a green plant. Small, nothing special. Maybe I'll name it DC All Red and sell it on Ebay .....
By Jds197
DTDream18 wrote:I was just surfing on Ebay and I noticed that Fingers001 is selling a plant Called Wally. From the photo's I'd say that the only person calling this Flytrap Wally is Fingers001 himself. I'm sure that this plant is not an actual Wally cultivar.

I have a Lowes Flytrap .... It's a green plant. Small, nothing special. Maybe I'll name it DC All Red and sell it on Ebay .....
I don't really think that the fraud is that extreme in this case. I'm not familiar with Wally, but the other cultivars he's selling (cup trap, pink Venus, maroon monster) seem to have all the traits of the actual plants. It might just be the case that these are also seed grown and have taken on the majority of their parents traits, but I don't think that they're completely unrelated ripoffs.
By Kevonicus
It would be best if everyone would just call anything grown from seed...SEED GROWN. Sure it looses that "B52XDCXL " marketing value but its would just clear up all the confusion. If I'm crossing plants and selling seeds from those plants I'd just call them seed grown plants and just name the parents that could be involved, but its a toss up as to what they will look like. Not everyone buying realizes so thats where the grey area is. You could end up with an incredibly awesome plant from a cross which is why if Jds197 got this on the cheap its worth it.
Kevonicus liked this
By Matt
Kevonicus wrote:It would be best if everyone would just call anything grown from seed...SEED GROWN. Sure it looses that "B52XDCXL " marketing value but its would just clear up all the confusion.
Agreed. Or just give it an entirely new name and leave the "B52 x DC XL" parentage for the description.
Matt liked this
By Jds197
I don't really have a problem with all the B52xDCXL marketing, as long as it's clear that it's seed grown and not a real cultivar. From the pictures, it looked like a fairly nice plant, at least enough to warrant the $9 I spent on the thing (also had a few drosera intermedia growing in the same pot to sweeten the deal). Personally I'm worried about what shape the drosera regina will show up in. I only spent $25 on it which from what I've seen is pretty cheap for a plant larger size young plant. But still, that's expensive for a college student like myself.
By Jds197
Sorry I haven't updated this, the plants came last week but I've been dealing with health issues. I'll lay out my thoughts for the reccord in case if anyone is searching the forums for information on Fingers001in the future. As far as I can tell, the flytrap I received is as every bit as large as a real B52, even though it's seed grown. It's already putting up new traps, so it seems to be pretty vigorous too. So all and all, I'd say Fingers001 is selling high quality flytraps. If you're looking for cheap, large flytraps for a bog garden or for seeders, and you know what your'e getting and are okay with supporting someone who is selling fake cultivars, I'd recommend him. If not, well you can always buy from Matt. :D Personally, while I'm happy with what I received, I don't think I'll be buying from Fingers001 again. I agree with DTDream18 that what Fingers001 is doing is wrong (if he is knowingly selling fake cultivars, I'm willing to still give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he might just be too inexperienced to know the difference between seed grown and cultivars.)
Attachments:
2014-07-23 10.48.09.jpg
2014-07-23 10.48.09.jpg (386.72 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
2014-07-23 10.47.44.jpg
2014-07-23 10.47.44.jpg (488.66 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
2014-07-23 10.47.22.jpg
2014-07-23 10.47.22.jpg (487.41 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
By Jds197
On a side note, the drosera regia I got off of Fingers001 is quite nice as well. It still had some dew on it even after spending 3 days in the mail. These pictures were taken right after I opened the box, so it's perked up a little since then. I'm kind of worried about how damp the soil is, I've heard young plants like this are susceptible to root rot. Oh well, I guess I'll swing by the sundew forums!
Attachments:
2014-07-23 10.49.45.jpg
2014-07-23 10.49.45.jpg (461.38 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
2014-07-23 10.49.13.jpg
2014-07-23 10.49.13.jpg (496.24 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
2014-07-23 10.48.47.jpg
2014-07-23 10.48.47.jpg (523.82 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
By Alex
I agree that the flytraps he sold grow large and vigorous. When mine arrived it had a flower intact and healthy! The traps also are bright red.
I got the plant about a month ago and it is still doing well, producing traps large enough to swallow quarters! But I have to say I'm slightly confused about the clone/seed thing. What's the difference between a clone B52 and seed grown B52?
By mnwatson1
Alex wrote:Image
I agree that the flytraps he sold grow large and vigorous. When mine arrived it had a flower intact and healthy! The traps also are bright red.
I got the plant about a month ago and it is still doing well, producing traps large enough to swallow quarters! But I have to say I'm slightly confused about the clone/seed thing. What's the difference between a clone B52 and seed grown B52?
The difference is that you cannot "seed grow" any cultivar, they have to be vegetatively propagated. You can do this via tissue culture, natural divisions, and leaf pullings, but seeds are always genetically different from the parents, therefore the only way to have a cultivar is to literally clone it via VP. :)
By Alex
Ah, I see! So basically each seed from a flytrap is technically different from the parent in that it may grow differently, so a DCXL seed grown may appear smaller than the orignal DCXL? Thanks for the response! :)
By Jds197
Alex wrote:Ah, I see! So basically each seed from a flytrap is technically different from the parent in that it may grow differently, so a DCXL seed grown may appear smaller than the orignal DCXL? Thanks for the response! :)
A flytrap grown from the seeds of a DCXL, regardless if both the parents were DCXLs, would qualify as being a seed grown typical. That's not to say that the plant won't produce equally impressive traps, but because it's not a clone, the genetics are different and therefore would results in the seed grown flytrap having different traits than the parents. Like I said, the seed grown plant that I received from Fingers001 is just as large and vigorous as any B52 that I have ever seen, but because it's not a clone, it cannot be considered a B52 cultivar.
By mnwatson1
Jds197 wrote:
Alex wrote:Ah, I see! So basically each seed from a flytrap is technically different from the parent in that it may grow differently, so a DCXL seed grown may appear smaller than the orignal DCXL? Thanks for the response! :)
A flytrap grown from the seeds of a DCXL, regardless if both the parents were DCXLs, would qualify as being a seed grown typical. That's not to say that the plant won't produce equally impressive traps, but because it's not a clone, the genetics are different and therefore would results in the seed grown flytrap having different traits than the parents. Like I said, the seed grown plant that I received from Fingers001 is just as large and vigorous as any B52 that I have ever seen, but because it's not a clone, it cannot be considered a B52 cultivar.
This, 100%. He explains better than I did. :) I tend to condense my posts when on my phone or tablet.
By Branmuffin
I realize this post is super old but this seller is still active on eBay and I have purchased from him a number of times. The plants he sells are legit and the quality is good, they are greenhouse grown and I did lose some leafs due to sunburn but they new traps are healthy, not really the sellers problem imo. Every plant I have purchased I have compared to the descriptions and pictures of the cultivar on this forum/ store and they match I haven't had any issues thinking something was miss label or rename.

All the auctions appear to be listed as grown from leaf propagation now so maybe this is a change since he began selling. I was just annoyed listening to people bash this guy for his sales on eBay, and whoever said he wouldn't take his plants even if they were free has completely lost it. Also every time I have ordered everything is shipped within 24 hours and is pretty well packaged nearly as good as some online shops. Lastly most the plants I have bought have a TON of growth points, the Maroon Monster I bought is probably 7 different growth points.

Bottom line is great guy to buy from, i believe 100% he sells legit cultivators and has been super easy to deal with, but please feel free to not buy from him I'm happy to buy everything he puts up for sale
Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!