FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
Hey, I was wondering if anyone's planned still looked like crap? I live in Pennsylvania. We're getting 60s to 70s now with nights averaging 50s. My plants don't look as nice as I thought they would by now. They stay outside all the time. I only move them when it's set to downpour for an entire day and the next. It rains a lot more in Pennsylvania than it does in nc(I lived in vft territory). I just imagined everything would look better by now, sarrs included. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Cross
Here's some inside plants. The king Henry is outside. The jaws is inside because the flower stem started to split and it's been pretty windy. ImageImageImage

By thefic
My sarracenia look like crap this year. Probably the last year I will keep them around. Same for pygmy sundews. They just aren't doing well here in Tennessee. I am moving back to Savannah next month so maybe they will perk up there. I'm guessing it's the humidity and not the sunshine, as we are getting plenty here. I keep my sundews mostly indoors, save for a few in the greenhouse. My outdoor flytraps are going gangbusters, including about 25 seedlings. Getting super red and growing tall.

I would give it another month or so where they are. This year has been an odd year for growth, inlcuding my cactus and Japanese Maples.
By Big-Jack
Mine look like garbage here in Ohio after a cold wet spring. Yellow hue and deformed traps on some. The new growth looks short but at least it is sending out new growth. Hopefully after flowering season and some summer heat things will improve.
By Fieldofscreams
Mine started growing rapidly about 2 weeks ago, much further along than yours. I'm in West Michigan zone 5 a/b. It's even been a terribly cold and wet spring.

Do you have them in direct sunlight? Like a lot? Mine are getting about 10 hours now.

Sounds like you move them in and out a lot. This can be stressful for them. Best to leave them where you want to grow them outside.
By Cross
Fieldofscreams wrote:Mine started growing rapidly about 2 weeks ago, much further along than yours. I'm in West Michigan zone 5 a/b. It's even been a terribly cold and wet spring.

Do you have them in direct sunlight? Like a lot? Mine are getting about 10 hours now.

Sounds like you move them in and out a lot. This can be stressful for them. Best to leave them where you want to grow them outside.
No, they stay where they are unless it's going to pour for more than a day, it rains much harder here than in nc. They sit in direct sun from about 10am to.... maybe 8 or 9 PM. I'm lucky that I can put them right in a south side, minus one house that blocks the sun from about 630 to 9 to 10.

By Fieldofscreams
All you can do is wait and see.

I do notice that the ones you have in NZLFSM/white cups are doing much better. One of the things I hate most about peat/perlite is that it soaks up a lot of heat, combine that with a dark pot and the roots overheat.
By Cross
Fieldofscreams wrote:All you can do is wait and see.

I do notice that the ones you have in NZLFSM/white cups are doing much better. One of the things I hate most about peat/perlite is that it soaks up a lot of heat, combine that with a dark pot and the roots overheat.
Oh yeah, I'm trying to cultivate more spagnum so I can eventually plant everything in it.

By Fieldofscreams
I only use NZLFSM for my VFTs. Everything else gets peat/perlite and a top dressing of NZLFSM to keep everything clean and keep the soil temps down.
By Artchic528
I've heard that the Midwest has had a cold and miserable Spring. It's like someone didn't get the memo that Spring had arrived. Meanwhile, here in the Southeast, we're in the middle of a heatwave, which my flytraps enjoy, even if I dont.

I use 100% Sphagnum peat moss in my flytrap pot, after realizing that the dried LFSM was attracting the squirrels. Apparently they love lining their nests with it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By Fieldofscreams
Your problem is mostly the fact you leave them on the ground. Put them up on something.
By Cross
Fieldofscreams wrote:Your problem is mostly the fact you leave them on the ground. Put them up on something.
No, they sit on a bench. I had to spray paint the bench for rust. They're a couple feet off the floor.

By Fieldofscreams
Sorry thought you said somewhere that they were on the ground when they were attacked.
By Cross
Fieldofscreams wrote:Sorry thought you said somewhere that they were on the ground when they were attacked.
That's okay lol. No not mine. I'm going to chalk it up to I live in Pennsylvania and nothing is ever normal here. For instance, we just had a brutal storm that literally divided as it hit the edge of town and we had tornadoes on either side, but not in town. No hail, no lightning in town, but brutal storm outside. So, they're just late, that's all..... I hope lol

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!