FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By EGROEG
Hi everyone, I have always had this question in mind. Now I understand that if you cross pollinated a b52 and a bigmouth that it's fair to call the seedlings b52 x bigmouth. But what would you name your seedlings if you cross pollinated two hybrids to make a complex hybrid? eg (royal red x dc xl) x (shogun star x b52)? Would you call the seedlings based on what traits they show? And will the offspring of this complex cross pollination resemble two of the four possible traits? Is there also a way to control what genetics you want in your offspring? Let me know your opinions below :) thanks!
By sbrooks
Genetics are essentially a crap shoot; some pairings will have a lot of offspring that resemble the parents; some will not.

You would name the cross after the two plants it's crossed from, mother plant first.

Trichterfalle x Coquillage is a fairly "complex" hybrid. It only resembles Trichterfalle, yet it is still named after both.

That isn't to say that, if it exhibited some unique traits, it couldn't earn its own unique name, but the general school of thought is to name the cross after the parents.
By Nightbreed
EGROEG wrote:Also which one would be the mother plant?
The mother is the one being pollinated so the one you collect the seeds from.
By sbrooks
Each plant can pollinate the other; if it's a b52 and shogun star, the seeds that develop on the shogun star are shogun star x b52.
The seeds that develop on the b52 are b52 x shogun star.
By EGROEG
So theoretically speaking, could you have two mother plants in one cross pollination? Or is that not possible?
By EGROEG
Ahh I see, that's good to know. My last question is that if one parent is a royal red x dc xl and the other is shogun star x b52, would the correct naming for the seedlings be (royal red x dc xl) x (shogun star x b52)? Trynna avoid really long names haha. And most times they may not look unique enough to earn their own name as a new cultivar
By Tryner78
you could abbreviate it (RLR x DCX)x(SHS x B52)
Can't wait to see how it looks! Good Luck!

Just let it be. Don't overthink it man. Worst that[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

Why can't you buy distilled? I'd day distill it y[…]

Get a magnifying glass 🔍

Kinda looks like old Jalapeños or bell pepp[…]

howdy!

I have lots of experience with agar so I want[…]

Nepenthes Repotting

Nepenthes are pretty much epiphytes and don't get […]

LazyDaisy's Grow List

Dionaea muscipula Typical (Rocket Farms) Ty[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!