FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By frankgrimes087
Hey everyone! So here in the Valley Of The Sun temps are finally starting to drop in the high 60s at night but still have been in the 90's during the day. Also I am noticing the days are getting shorter so dormancy is just around the corner.

On one of my Megatraps I have been noticing emerging new growth starting to turn black along with more established newer growth so of course I am starting to worry. I really do no not feel that it is root rot because I do not keep my plants in water but of course not phasing out the possibility. I checked my water so that is not an issue.

I have asked others and they think that it could be a sign of dormancy, but I keep seeing new emerging growth turning black. Has this happened to anyone else? I attached a photo and circled some of the areas. I am not talking about all the old summer dead traps those have been there for awhile.

Thanks for the help guys!
Attachments:
megatraps1.jpg
megatraps1.jpg (4.91 MiB) Viewed 759 times
By ChefDean
New, emergent growth turning black is not a sign of dormancy, you've got something else going on there.
My first thought by looking at the yellow traps and browning cilia is mineral burn. Plus, new growth has been known to blacken when it's being choked, and that may be a slight contribution here as the plant appears to have settled a bit into the media.
Personally, I would be going for a repot into new, fresh media, even this time of year.
frankgrimes087 liked this
By frankgrimes087
ChefDean wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:09 am New, emergent growth turning black is not a sign of dormancy, you've got something else going on there.
My first thought by looking at the yellow traps and browning cilia is mineral burn. Plus, new growth has been known to blacken when it's being choked, and that may be a slight contribution here as the plant appears to have settled a bit into the media.
Personally, I would be going for a repot into new, fresh media, even this time of year.
Awesome advice dean! I really didn't think of mineral burn because I did flush out the pot and checked the water and it read 30ppm but I will play it safe and do a fresh repot for sure! Thank you good sir!

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!