FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Kbud
I have a bug vac. It's fun and one time used it to get a giant centipede. It was ugly but cool. There was a spider in there and it just grabbed the spider and started chewing on it. Freaky! I guess it wouldn't make good VFT food...

Regarding bloodworms, I've tried them a few times and they never worked. I personally think they're too tiny, but I'd love to know your method. How are your VFTs responding to it?
By Sander
well, ill see how they do tomorrow, i use frozen bloodworms and let them thaw, then i add a piece the size of about 1/4th of the trap, after a week they did not turn black yet, i massaged them a few them a few times and after a few days the traps were still closed.
By Sander
Kbud wrote:Cool! I gave mine freeze-dried.
Id rehydrate them next time (with RO water), this will make it easyer to digest =]

As for the photos, havent taken them yet, allthough i have some from lasts week: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post1 ... ml#p163110
Currently all traps are still closed, one opened, and all u can see is some pale looking wormlike residue, but the FVT is currently producing about 1 leaf a week.
By Vern
Peonies, Ants and Flytraps!!! Ahh! I wish I had thought of that!
Ah maybe Sundews will do well too! <3
By Sander
Ok, just an update, a few traps started opening again, some were compromised because of mold, i will try to let the bloodworms get drier next time, im just hoping the feeding helps ^^
By Lord Death
I just go to a local fishing shop, get half a scoop of maggots for £0.50 and use them to feed my carnivorous plants. Maggots are cheap, easy and absolutely perfect food for plants because they leave no exoskeletons - the plants can consume 100% of the maggot!
By Lord Death
That I did not know! So live blood worms would be better than maggots, eh? I'll have a look around pet shops and fishing shops in my area and see if there are any available. I was never fond of the dried ones because they're just too small and fiddly lol
By Sander
Well, there not live, there just frozen, as a cube, here are the nutritional values:

Bloodworms:
Crude Protein Min 4.50%
Crude Fat Min 0.20%
Crude Fiber Max 0.70%
Moisture Max 95.00%
Dry Protein 90.00%

Maggots:
PARAMETER Mean ± S.D (3 repeat
analyses)
MOISTURE CONTENT (%) 86.0 ± 0.47
CRUDE PROTEIN (%) 48 ± 0.52

In essence, maggots contain more calcium and fat, i dont know what it will do to a flytrap though.
Same as for absorbing, does it only absorb crude proteins? (amino acids, as source of N)
Since if it gets its nitrogen from animals, and uses protein to get AA, im gonna feed mine pure whey^^
By Kbud
Whoa. I guess maggots are out then:( Maybe you could catch live bloodworms (mosquito larvae) and feed them to the plants. In the summer, when I'm not looking, they congregate in the bird bath:( Hey, at least the food comes to me!
By Sander
No, they are not, they are larvae of a non biting bug.
But yeah, u could also feed them mosquitoe larvae, i think they are similar in nutrition.

Okay, thanks for the info.

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I would give it a bit more shade but it doesn't ne[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!