FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By cnrose
Recently I made my 2nd Cook's order of 4 highland/hybrid Nepenthes (+ a heat pack, but more on that later). Overall I am pleased with the plants I got - in particular a very small Nepenthes muluensis x lowii (BE-3128). They seem to be acclimating well and have started putting out new growth despite some temperature shock.

The good:
[*] Probably the lowest prices you can find outside of individual sales, especially on some of the temperate plants like Darlingtonia.
[*] A pretty varied selection, especially of Nepenthes.
[*] The packaging is actually quite decent - my Nepenthes came in a large box (marked "Perishable, this end up" - not that that actually does anything - but it's the thought that counts) and were well-cushioned.

The neutral:
[*] The size is definitely as-described. "Small" is small. Considering the lower prices of plants you can get I don't think it's unfair at all, and it could even be good if you enjoy being present for more of your plant's growing process.

The not-so-good:
[*] The website is certainly vintage - but you get used to it after long enough.
[*] The heat pack in my order was nowhere to be found, and the plants were quite cold to the touch. If it were warmer out or I were buying temperate plants, I wouldn't mind - but not including a heat pack in a Nepenthes order during winter (and when the temperatures here are in the 10s and 20s) left a sour taste in my mouth. Thankfully none of the Nepenthes appear to have lasting damage - perks of buying HL hybrids I guess.
[*] The customer service. I tried using the site's email form to ask about the missing heat pack - but the form on the website doesn't even work. I tried emailing the listed customer service email address, but got an "email address does not exist" return message. I've heard the best way to contact Cook's is through Facebook, but I didn't want to make a Facebook account just to ask for a $4 heat pack refund. Thank goodness I didn't need to claim cold damage on any plants.

Overall I probably would order from Cook's Carnivorous Plants again, just maybe not for tropicals during the winter. I appreciate how they offer good plants at good prices (especially some of the harder to find ones), but I don't like the feeling of gambling over whether they'll reach me okay.
How cold is too cold

Thanks! They will stay outside from now on.

Hello from New England

Welcome to the forum!

For more information about characteristics, you wo[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Definitely looks like thrip damage, and they are v[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

Thanks, y’all!

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!