FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By BradR
Check out one of my favorite shots I got on my trip to Cobra Country in Sept. 2010.

This is a view of a mountain lake in Siskiyou County California. Elevation was 6500 ft.
I was on my stomach surrounded by cobras. Camera was on a mini-tripod. My goal was to get maximum depth of focus. I used the smallest aperture I had (f8) and an exposure time of 2sec.
Notice that the blades of grass a few inches in front of the camera and the trees on the horizon are both in focus.

Brad

Higher Resolution Link:
http://members.cox.net/myserver/Cobra_Lake2800.jpg

Last edited by BradR on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BradR, BradR liked this
By Steve_D
What a great photo! That is a really good shot, Brad. Thanks for posting it. Like with your photos in Flytrap country, this photo of Darlingtonia in its own environment is really nice to see. :)
By ModeratelyExcessive
Beautiful shot, Brad! Although the cobras with their heads smashed down don't look too happy. :P
By BradR
Thanks guys:

No Cobras were harmed in the making of this picture.
By Alan
wow, I love that view and those Cobras :D did you re-inflate those heads after you took the photo?
By Daniel_G
nice photo mate! i love seeing cp's in there natural home :D
By BradR
Matt wrote:Great photo Brad! I live in the heart of Darlingtonia country. But I've not been to a Darlingtonia site that is as beautiful as that one.
Thanks Matt:

I had been to the Darlingtonia Wayside near Florence a couple of times to see the coastal variety but I really wanted to see the Mountain Variety in its native habitat. So I made a trip to the Mt. Shasta area the second week in September and I was able to find Cobras at 5 different locations. The altitude ranged from 6000 ft to 7100ft. I tried to learn as much about their growing conditions as I could. Here is what I found:

1. Soil/Water temp. 38-44 degrees F.
2. Air temps: 55-70 degrees F.
2. Soil type Gravel and Muck. (I saw none growing in sphagnum)
3. Water pH: 6.8
4. Water TDS: 20 (Slow moving trickle)
5. Air Humidity: 35% (on a sunny day)

What surprised me most was how dry air air was. These plants can tolerate very low humidity. Also at that altitude the temps must fall well below freezing during the winter.

BradR
By Matt
BradR wrote:I had been to the Darlingtonia Wayside near Florence a couple of times to see the coastal variety but I really wanted to see the Mountain Variety in its native habitat.
I've never been to the one outside of Florence, but there are a couple of places to stop and see them on the Redwood Highway (199) going from Grants Pass, OR down to Crescent City, CA. I've found a few stands of mountain variety Darlingtonias around 8 Dollar Mountain.
BradR wrote:So I made a trip to the Mt. Shasta area the second week in September and I was able to find Cobras at 5 different locations.
Oh, that's great! I knew that there were some around Mt. Shasta. I haven't yet hiked in that area, but I'm planning on climbing Shasta next year, so maybe I'll look for them when I'm down there.
BradR wrote:1. Soil/Water temp. 38-44 degrees F.
2. Air temps: 55-70 degrees F.
2. Soil type Gravel and Muck. (I saw none growing in sphagnum)
3. Water pH: 6.8
4. Water TDS: 20 (Slow moving trickle)
5. Air Humidity: 35% (on a sunny day)
Great information! You should check out Jacob Farin's and Jeff Dallas' video that they put together about Darlingtonia sites. Some of these are the same ones I've found:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebZMWy2SLU[/youtube]
BradR wrote:What surprised me most was how dry air air was. These plants can tolerate very low humidity. Also at that altitude the temps must fall well below freezing during the winter.
Right. They can stand insanely low humidity levels in the summer, down into the low teens and even around 10%. They can also stand extremely hot air temperatures (115°F) in the summer and well-below freezing in the winter (as you said).
By sekler
Awesome shot dude !!!

thanks for sharing, cobras are amazing :)
By Oblivion
awesome photo of the area. it looks like a sweet spot

no wonder the cobra's love looking out over the lake too.
Attachments:
Cobra_Lake edit.JPG
Cobra_Lake edit.JPG (165.19 KiB) Viewed 6882 times
Oblivion liked this
By BradR
Oblivion:

I like it!
If a Cobra speakes in the woods when no one is around, does it still make a sound?

Brad
By Daniel_G
BradR wrote:Oblivion:

I like it!
If a Cobra speakes in the woods when no one is around, does it still make a sound?

Brad

Yeah a sort of hissing sound but the one with its head bashed in makes more of a,gurgling sound :lol:
By Richardavion
Just-as the-GERMANs 'know' The-'Sound' of One-Hand Clapping ... R-VERY-Long Extension-Cords, Microphone-&-Tape-Recorder, Should-'Do'-The-Trick In-Finding-OUT so-to-Speak!!! >(*U^)<

From my personal experience, I would not order fro[…]

Infact I just went to check on them and it looks l[…]

recently split a flytrap and the smaller one I got[…]

Rain

A little kids' wading pool works well, too. It has[…]

Sundew in forest

Bugs are the foundation of the ecosystem. Killin[…]

S. purpurea?

Looks like a hybrid to me, purpurea crossed with f[…]

Okay, thanks for the tip. I don't want to fully re[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!