FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Snap Traps
Maybe I should feed my ceph too to make it grow faster :idea: . Are cephs the kind of cp that you have to feed or it dies/stops growing? I am getting very disappointing growth from mine for the last 6 months. Maybe I should consider :twisted: ...

Nice plant though SEWinans :) . Has it flowered yet?
Snap Traps liked this
By SEWinans
Snap Traps wrote:Are cephs the kind of cp that you have to feed or it dies/stops growing?
I really don't know about this. I've just found that mine grows much faster when I feed it.

It hasn't flowered yet. Maybe someday :)

Has yours changed much since your last picture? I really wish mine was the same color as yours.
SEWinans liked this
By Snap Traps
SEWinans wrote:Has yours changed much since your last picture?
No, the only thing that grew are a couple of small leaves from the crown and a tiny, developing pitcher. It will be sometime next year (if my ceph manage to survive while I'm away) before I can see a decent pitcher :( .
SEWinans wrote:I really wish mine was the same color as yours.
Maybe the reason mine grows so dark is because I don't feed it. How much light are you giving yours and what's your temperature?
Snap Traps liked this
By SEWinans
Snap Traps wrote:No, the only thing that grew are a couple of small leaves from the crown and a tiny, developing pitcher. It will be sometime next year (if my ceph manage to survive while I'm away) before I can see a decent pitcher :( .
Aw man, that is really slow! I wonder why. I am certainly no expert on cephs. Each individual plant is different, I'm sure.
Maybe the reason mine grows so dark is because I don't feed it.
Good point. Flytraps develop more color when they're hungry too :)
How much light are you giving yours and what's your temperature?
Mine is grown in a terrarium under six 6500K high output T5's. The lights are on roughly from 8AM to 11PM. The plant is about 5 inches from the lights. Humidity varies... 40%-60% during the day and 90% at night. During the day the temperature never exceeds 85F, and at night I put ice packs in there to drop the temp as much as possible. Normally it ends up at about 60F. I use a wick watering system. I have a nylon rope sticking in the bottom of the pot and it hangs into a container containing distilled water. I simply drilled a hole in the top of a plastic container (meant for food storage) and I set my ceph pot on the lid. The wick hangs through the hole into the container which is filled with water. This way the soil always stays damp and all I have to do is be sure that the reservoir remains full and clean. I occasionally top water (soil only) with refrigerated distilled water. All of my plants seem to like this, especially if they get a little warmer than I'd like during the day.
SEWinans liked this
By Snap Traps
SEWinans wrote: Mine is grown in a terrarium under six 6500K high output T5's. The lights are on roughly from 8AM to 11PM. The plant is about 5 inches from the lights. Humidity varies... 40%-60% during the day and 90% at night. During the day the temperature never exceeds 85F, and at night I put ice packs in there to drop the temp as much as possible. Normally it ends up at about 60F. I use a wick watering system. I have a nylon rope sticking in the bottom of the pot and it hangs into a container containing distilled water. I simply drilled a hole in the top of a plastic container (meant for food storage) and I set my ceph pot on the lid. The wick hangs through the hole into the container which is filled with water. This way the soil always stays damp and all I have to do is be sure that the reservoir remains full and clean. I occasionally top water (soil only) with refrigerated distilled water. All of my plants seem to like this, especially if they get a little warmer than I'd like during the day.
Sound like a spoiled little plant :lol: . I leave mine outside, exposing it to the wrath of the British weather.
Snap Traps liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!